Monday, October 19, 2015

Sunday, October 18th, 2015



During the night I got up once at 3:30 and again at 5:30.  The alarm went off at 7am.  (I guess I was in a deep sleep because I remember dreaming about someone stealing the Trek GT bicycle I used to have back in the US.)
Teresa told me her cold is so bad she doesn’t want to go into Envigado until Tuesday.  I tried to get back to sleep (better if I hadn’t been awakened at all) but at 7:20 Teresa told me to get up because we’re going to Envigado so she can get some medicine for her cold.  (See how quickly things can change in my life?)

We left the finca at 8:15 and the killer dogs met us as we approached their house.  The puppy came out and I gave it a dog biscuit.  He approached me again and I petted it briefly and gave it another dog biscuit.  Surprisingly, the other dogs approached me and stopped being aggressive.  I was out of dog biscuits but it gave me renewed faith that I might eventually be able to make them be my friends.

The neighbors in the old Don Carlos house have done some work on the house and grounds.  They have new plantings and have finished the posts for what I think is going to be a small fence and gate.

We only had to wait 5 minutes for a bus that dropped us off nearby Home Center.  I picked up a GE 45watt (160watt) fluorescent bulb for about 30mil.  The finca needs additional lighting so I’m sure I can use it somewhere.  Teresa picked out a dust mask, a protective set of goggles, a plastic organizer for small hardware parts and a package of aerosol sprays that were on sale.  

We walked next door to Exito where we had breakfast in their cafeteria.  Teresa had fish and I had a croissant and we both had coffee.  

In Exito I picked up bath soap, 2 600ml bottles of Coke, a jar of dill pickle slices for my hamburgers and a bag of La Preferida tortilla chips that I noticed were made in Chicago.  Teresa picked up buns for hamburgers and hotdogs, hotdogs, prepackaged hotdogs, and arepas.

While she was paying for everything I went across the hall to a copy store where I had some more documents printed.

We took a taxi to the metro station and after a short wait we were on a bus back to the finca.  The killer dogs were waiting for us but basically just followed us.  The doberman or whatever it is followed closely behind me without being too aggressive.  I think I have a chance of turning them into friends.

We got back to the finca at 11:40.  I logged into my Slingbox but had trouble directing it to the television.  The remote control doesn’t want to work with the TV but after some effort I managed to redirect it from Direct TV to my laptop using the controls on the front of the TV.

The 2-3 Chicago Bears ended up losing to the 0-6 Detroit Lions 37-34 in overtime.  I learned that if I put a warm 600ml bottle of Coke in the freezer it will be cold but not frozen in a little more than 90 minutes.

Two young men arrived to give Teresa an estimate to add cabinets to the kitchen.  He showed me cabinets by googling Linea Contemporanea Cocinas.  I told him I would like to see the wood he plans to use.    He said he would come back tomorrow to show us a sample of the wood.  While they were there I showed them the picture of the chairs I want for my chess table.  He agreed to have them made for 300mil (360mil?).  I gave him a 150mil down payment and I think they might be ready as early as Friday.

A young man and woman arrived and we gave them 102mil towards a new communal water storage tank.  This is the first time I’ve learned that we have two water tanks not one.  Teresa promised to show me the other tank some day soon.

At 5:30 it rained for about 15 minutes while my barometer was on the cusp of Normal and Humid.

I showed Teresa a YouTube video of the Forearm Forklift in Spanish; she was suitably impressed.  

I forgot about the NLCS game until 9:30.  I watched the last 2 innings using my Slingbox and the Mets beat the Cubs 4-2.  I’m sure the Cubs were thinking that their ace pitcher Jake Arrieta was going to win this game, tying up the series and all the Cubs would have to do was win 2 of 3 games in Chicago to win the series.  Instead, the Mets are 2-0 and if they win one game in Chicago they can clinch the series with a win in either of their two games at home.

I took my sleeping pill at 11pm and went to bed.  Notice I said singular.  I usually take 2 but I decided to see if 1 would work because I was out in the fresh air thereby making me more tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment