Monday, October 5, 2015

Sunday, October 4th, 2015



At 4:05am we were awakened by a crash.  Actually it was more of a clunk that sounded like a rock hitting a door or a wall.  Teresa said “What?” and I replied “I don’t know”.  She said “What?” again and I replied “I don’t know” again.  She said “What?” again and I replied “I have no idea”.  I got up and took advantage of the situation by making a trip to the bathroom.  I checked most of the interior of the finca but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary so I went back to bed.

About 6am one of the terriers, probably Tony, kept growling despite our attempts to shush him.

I got up at 8am and we left the finca at 9:20.  We saw 2 dead opossums on the way.  Somebody’s dogs probably got them.  The killer dogs gave us a hard time but a cute, maybe 2 month old, puppy came out with his tail wagging.  He was a little conflicted – on one hand he wanted to meet us but on the other hand he seemed to be influnced by the other dogs and wouldn’t apprach too closely.  I threw him a dog biscuit and it broke on landing but I know he got at least one of the pieces before the other dogs got to it.

Over 25 minutes we watched 5 buses heading to Medellin before we got one to Caldas.  (When we want to go to Medellin we watch all these Caldas buses go by.  Just our luck!)

In Caldas we stopped at a small store where Teresa bought a package (maybe 16 ounces) of shelled, sliced peanuts for 5mil.  

At Merkepaisa she bought almost 600mil worth of food and I had to help her out with 100mil because she didn’t bring enough cash.  I met her cousin Cecelia there and she bought a jar of face cream from her for 100mil.

Walter was waiting for us and he got us back to the finca without any trouble.  I saw turkey vultures circling overhead and there was even one on the trail; I’m sure they were there to clean up the dead opossums.  I paid Walter 25mil for the ride and his help.

I got back just in time for today’s game – the Chicago Bears beat the Oakland Raiders 22-20 for their first win.  Now they are 1-3 on the season.
I finished Nelson DeMille’s 500 page Plum Island and downloaded Paul Stutzman’s 244 page Hiking Through.  I enjoyed Nelson DeMille’s sense of humor sprinkled throughout the book.  For example: “I shook hands with her.  Her skin was warm.  My heart was on fire.  Or maybe the nachos were causing reflux.  It’s hard to tell after forty.”

We mixed some sugar with water, put it in the hummingbird feeder and hung it outside on a tree facing the finca.

I watched more episodes of The Walking Dead.

From 11pm to midnight I watched episode 9 of Fargo.  I’ve now seen episodes 2, 6, and 9 of this first season.  When it’s usually on at 10pm Teresa and Laura are watching Lady.  I’ve finally figured out I have opportunities to see it at 7pm on Wednesdays and 11pm on Sundays.

I took my sleeping pills at midnight and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment