Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Monday, February 20, 2017

Happy Presidents Day! 
Donald Trump has been president for a month.  How’s that workin' out for ya?

I forgot to mention when Jim arrived he brought me some things I requested.  Things I can’t find, or haven’t found, here in Medellin.  This trip it was small individual tubes of superglue, Scotch packing tape, Denman hairbrush, lint roller, Excedrin Migraine tablets, Tylenol, English toffee, salted-in-the-shell peanuts and Fritos.

I watched the Today show until 11am and then left for the gym.  On my way I saw the apartment for rent that I first noticed when my brother and I were walking to Otraparte.  It appears to be on the 4th floor.  I wouldn’t want to go any higher than that without a working elevator.  (Notice I said “working”.  We’ve looked at apartments here before with broken elevators and were told it will be fixed mañana.  Yeah, right!)

The gym wasn’t very busy, 3 of the machines weren’t working, and I was done after an hour.  I weighed in at 79 ½ kilos.

After lunch I walked to $efecty where I paid the Une bill of 72mil, took an Envigado bus to MBE where I picked up my package (a small Shedrain manual umbrella), paid 16mil for it, and paid about 50,000 pesos for March’s rent.  I only had to wait about 5 minutes for a Sabaneta bus but traffic was getting heavy (3:30pm) and it took a while to get back to the apt.

While my brother was here we used Uber possibly more often than we used taxis.  Here are some thoughts on my new experience.
Pros:
ü   Uber cars all seem to be new or newer.
ü   The price seems to be about 2,000 pesos less than taxi meter rates.
ü   For an extra charge you can request an English speaking driver.

Cons:
ü   Drivers often seem to have difficulty finding your exact location.
ü   It’s a little discouraging to see empty taxis go by while you’re waiting for your Uber car to arrive.
ü   You have to pay a fee if you cancel your Uber request even though the driver seems unable to find you or it appears to be driving in circles.


T-shirt of the day: Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery.

No comments:

Post a Comment