Monday, February 20, 2017

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Besides getting up twice during the night, I was awakened by the leaf blower at 7am and a cramp in my right calf at 8am.  I decided this wasn’t my morning and it was time to get up.

Jim came over and we walked to Avenida Poblado where we barely caught a Sabaneta bus.  I probably should have checked the stops on the front windshield but we barely caught up with it at a red light.  It left Avenida Pablado and headed west.  It stopped briefly at Mayorca mall, circled the mall and headed south again.  It then headed west again and I went up to the bus driver and asked directly if it stops at Parque Sabaneta and he said yes.  A few blocks from the park he turned again and that’s when several people told us we should get off here to go to the park.  (People are so helpful and nice here!)

We walked a coupe blocks to the park and found a table in the shade where Jim had a beer and I had an iced tea.  Jim mentioned that there’s some type of fitness convention going on because he saw several very fit men and women in his hotel.

A little while later we walked a few blocks back down Avenida Poblado to a butcher shop/restaurant called Porci Carnes.  Jim ordered ribs and I a hamburger and I was a little surprised while eating it to find that it was pork instead of beef.

Afterwards, after getting directions from a local, we walked down to the Sabaneta metro station.  Jim continued on the metro to the Poblado Station and I got off at Envigado.  I didn’t see Herman at the orange juice stand so I just got on the first bus to the park.  Passing by the corner store I didn’t see anyone there but a woman where we had played chess the other day. 

The Colombian Peso closed at 2,886 to the US Dollar.

Somewhere I saw that the Teatro Pablo Tobon Uribe has chess on Tuesday afternoons.  On the map I see it’s a little east of Avenida Poblado near downtown.

One of my readers mentioned that my cramps are due to a lack of potassium.  I knew that I just haven’t done anything about it.  Lol.  Teresa told me she’s going to Mayorista with her mother early Monday morning and she’ll buy some bananas for me then.

About 7:30 Teresa and I walked to Otraparte to meet Jim for dinner.  We found the main gate locked so we walked to the street and followed it to the entrance to their parking lot.  We quickly got a table; good thing too because later there was a waiting line.  Jim arrived a few minutes later.

We ordered drinks and I ordered a plate of mozzarella sticks to share.  Teresa and I shared a plate of pasta and afterwards an ice cream sundae.

Jim caught an Uber taxi (first time with a female driver) and we started back to the apt.  At one spot we saw an “alley” with other restaurants so we took a walk down and I discovered Classic Diner which looked like an American diner complete with a table inside a convertible.  I checked their menu and it was mainly burgers, hotdogs, and ribs.  It was quite noisy so we soon left; we’ll return at a quieter time.


T-shirt of the day: Pretty sure I’m going to be one of those senior citizens that bites everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, I surely hope that it wasn't me who suggested potassium for cramps because if I did that then inadvertently I misspoke and If so, what I meant to have said was MAGNESIUM.

    I have been using magnesium for several decades now whenever I get the occasional cramp. What I use is Epsom Salts (i.e., magnesium sulfate) when I get one and it stops the cramping almost instantly, like in three or four minutes.

    But, please only use a very little of it –you'll usually need about 1/16th of a teaspoon or less– because too much Epsom Salts can produce a laxative effect.

    So, here's the deal: I just moisten the tip of my finger, touch it to the Epsom Salt crystals, lick it off, and then I wash it down with a couple sips of water right afterwards. (It's not the best tasting stuff in the world, but tolerable.) That amount for me is almost always enough to resolve the cramps, but if it isn't I then repeat the moistened finger routine once more and that little bit extra solves the problem.

    So it isn't potassium; it's MAGNESIUM, in the form of Epsom Salts that works for cramps, providing almost immediate relief for me from even very severe cramping.

    Try it and I think you will find it quite effective in stopping a cramp.

    OK — HTH

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan. Relax, it wasn't you who suggested potassium. I believe I've read before that potassium is good for preventing leg cramps. I'll try to remember to eat a banana every week and hopefully that will prevent them. Your message sounded more like a cure than a prevention, no? Btw, my cramps don't usually last 3-4 minutes. I just grab my toes and pull with one hand and massage my calf with the other and in less than a minute its gone.

    ReplyDelete