Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I watched 90 minutes of the Today show on Direct TV.

After seeing the Spanish “sopa de letras” books that her mother and grandmother have, Laura told me she would like to have a word-search puzzle book for herself in English.

We made an appointment with Dr. Rendon to have Laura’s molars removed this Thursday at 4:30pm.  I’d rather have him treat her than some cheap quack dentist.

Teatro Pablo Tobon has chess every Tuesday from 2pm-8pm.  I told Teresa I planned to leave the apt at 1 or 1:30 but she was a little late with lunch and I didn’t leave until 2pm.  Downtown Envigado I was waiting at the bus stop when I saw an Envigado bus arrive.  I was checking the stops listed on the windshield when a man from the ice cream store behind me asked if I was lost.  I told him I wasn’t sure.  I told him where I wanted to go and my plan was to take a bus to get close and then take a taxi.  He said that was a good plan.  He talked to the driver and then informed me that this bus would take me downtown and then I could take a taxi from there.
I got off the bus a little early – at the crossroads of Calle 44 and Carrera 50.  Traffic was heavy and when our street was closed off he told me we’re only 3 blocks away.  It wasn’t the best neighborhood so I told him I feel more secure staying in the taxi.  Traffic was bumper to bumper and we finally arrived at 3:45, an extra 20 minutes and 5mil later.

I stepped inside and saw a small food store but no one playing chess.  I went back outside and asked at the window where the room is where they play chess.  A man came out and in English explained that usually players come together to play chess; meaning that I should have come with someone instead of expecting to find someone there.

I took a quick look at some paintings they had on the walls and then went outside where I found a man giving chess lessons to 2 ladies.  His name was Jaime Colorado 312 871 9901 and 586 7548, and he was with his wife Rocio Baena 312 259 7042 and a lady friend.  We played a game and he slowly suffocated me using the French defense.  At one point it was raining lightly and we moved inside.  I reset the position and he complimented me on my beautiful chess set.  I wanted to be sure I was out of there before dark so I didn’t start another game.  I gave him my business card and we agreed to meet here next Tuesday at 2pm.

I quickly caught a taxi and gave the driver my address in Envigado.  The few times he tried to talk to me I didn’t understand a word he was saying.  Traffic was very slow but the driver found a back way behind San Diego mall that allowed him to speed up.  At one point he looked down the hill and saw traffic backed up at Avenida Las Vegas so he headed for the highway.  It was much better until we got to the Envigado exit where part of the pavement was flooded.  I was back at the apt a little over an hour after I left the theater.

Through Expat Exchange I received a private message from Alex from SF asking for my help.  He plans to move to Medellin in coming months and has some questions for me.


T-shirt of the day: 1/20/17 - The end of an error.

No comments:

Post a Comment