Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Monday, February 27, 2017

Last night each of us filled out SmartFit’s online registration form and then confirmed their confirmation email.  (The only problem is they wanted me to select my bank from their list and the only one I recognized was Citibank so I clicked it even though I was using my USAA debit card.)  I had to transfer the last of my cash from my Citibank savings account to cover the SmartFit purchase.

Honking horns woke me up about 6:30am so I got up at 7am.
I had copied the Informed Consent form to my USB drive.  We left the apt at 8:30, and the ladies stopped at a small nearby internet café that I had never been at before.  Laura got on one of their computers for some purpose.  I told them I’m not using this place and I went to my usual internet café (maybe paper store would be a better name for it) where I quickly printed 3 copies of the form.  At the Sportfit gym I waited about 5 minutes for the ladies to arrive.  I found that Laura had printed out the same form I had.  Inside the gym we each signed a form and then went to a machine where we entered our Cedula number and it took our photo followed by 3 separate fingerprints of our index finger.

To enter the gym itself we put our index finger on this device and it releases this floor to ceiling turnstile allowing us to enter.  (I forget what’s it’s called not having seen one for years.)

Inside, a personal instructor came up to us and offered personal instruction for 700,000 pesos.  I told him we’ve spent so much money just getting in here that we’ll decline.

The ladies went upstairs for a group class and I wandered around figuring out some of the Matrix exercise machines.  I did a few exercises and then headed back to the apt so as not to miss the beginning of the Today show.  I’ll be easing into it for the first week or so.

My 5 year old iPad 2 is close to useless.  When I select a newspaper article for example, it just takes me back to the home screen.  I don’t think it’s the hardware itself which is “worn out”.  I think it’s the endless operating system releases that are written more for the new devices which make it harder to work with the older devices like my iPad.

I finished Thomas Gilovich’s How We Know What Isn’t So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life and then downloaded Michael Connelly’s Trunk Music (#5 in the Harry Bosch series).  An interesting quote from the former book “It ain’t so much the things we don’t know that get us into trouble.  It’s the things we know that just ain’t so.”  Think weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

I wondered why our new gym membership didn’t result in debits being made against my checking account.  Teresa explained that one of the fees is paid on the 1st of the month and the other(s) on the 10th, so we’ll see!

About 4pm it got pretty dark and soon was raining lightly but it didn’t last long.

We finished watching The Immigrant (6.6) on Netflix.  We started watching The Theory of Everything but Teresa didn’t like it so I’ll finish it alone later.  We switched to Big Nothing (6.8).

I finished The Theory of Everything while Teresa watched Caso Cerrado (Case Closed) on Direct TV.


T-shirt of the day: I’m an adult, but not like a real adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment