Thursday, February 23, 2017

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

It turned out to be another interesting day!

Teresa left for the gym at 10am.  I watched the first 30 minutes of the Today show and then I headed out.

When I showed my cedula at the gym entrance the lady told me that today is my last day for the month.  (I had my debit card with me just in case she wouldn’t let me in.)

The usually busy chest exercise machine was available so I started on that first.  While sitting there the pretty Sondra came up to me and asked if I would like to teach English.  I answered her truthfully with “I don’t know”.  She told me her school is near the Consumo grocery store and while they have English teachers from NY and NJ they need another one.  I asked her to get me the information about the school and I would check on it.  She told me she wants to be my student.

I saw a young woman with obvious butt implants (not to mention her lips looked like someone had hit her).  There is a machine where you sit down and exercise the inside of your thighs.  Instead of sitting she stood and performed the exercise facing backwards.  I had doubts she could even sit down but a few minutes later she was sitting at the machine next to me exercising the tops of her thighs so I guess I was wrong.

Later when I talked to Teresa, her friend Gloria told me she wants me to teach her English also.

After our workout Teresa and I went downstairs to pay for next month’s gym membership.  While waiting for our turn Teresa showed me 2 50mil bills she said she found in the street this morning.  Talk about lucky!  I’d never seen that type before.  It was so complex I was pretty sure it was just a new design that they must have recently introduced.

When it was our turn the lady drew a pen over her bills and pronounced that they were legit.  I understood we won’t be able to return to this gym again, we’ll have to go to the new one on the other side of the park.  Teresa told me it’s more expensive.  I think its 49,000 pesos instead of the current 42,000 so that’s not a big deal.

On the way back to the apt I showed Teresa the apt I had found for rent.  She said it doesn’t have an elevator.  How could she know that from standing outside on the sidewalk?  The apt is on the 4th floor of a 6 floor building so maybe it does; or maybe they only have to have elevators over a certain height like 6 floors.

After lunch I laid down for a few minutes and Dario called and invited me to continue our chess competition next Wednesday at 2pm at his store.  I accepted.

I wanted to see the movie Hidden Figures (7.3) playing at Santafe but today it changed to The Great Wall (6.3).  Teresa was too tired to go with me so I left alone at 2:40 for the 3:30 show.  (There were a few dark clouds so I took my new mini umbrella with me.  It fit nicely in my tech bag with my Nook and I could even close the zipper.)  I quickly caught a bus from downtown Envigado.  At one point a guy got on with a tape player and sang rap.  God, how I hate rap!  I’m tempted to give him 5mil NOT to sing.  I was also tempted to put in my earplugs; next time I’ll do it as soon as I see them step on the bus.

I was in line at the theater by 3:05.  I asked the cashier if she spoke English and she surprised me by saying “yes, a little”.  She told me she was a baby sitter (au pair?) in Connecticut and Pennsylvania for a year.  Her English was very good.  My general admission but reserved ticket cost me 6,750 pesos (about $2.50).  I bought a small popcorn and large soda for another 14,800 (about $5).  Their were 25 minutes of advertizing and coming attractions.

I knew that the movie, The Great Wall (6.3), was about the Great Wall of China and starred Matt Damon but I didn’t know anything else.  I was impressed by its imagination and execution.  It was really cool.  Go see it!  The only probolem I had with it, and I should have known, that the Chinese spoken in the movie was translated using subtitles into Spanish instead of English.  (When I got back to the apt I found that it was a $150,000,000 movie; It looked like it cost a lot to make.)

Outside at the corner the young man selling hot almonds talked to me in English.  I told him I have 4 bags of salted-in-the-shell peanuts at home so I won’t be buying any from him today.  Because I stopped to talk to him I missed my crosswalk light and thus a Sabeneta bus.

While waiting for another one a man on a Harley stopped at the stoplight.  It was a low slung hog and he had on a skullcap type helmet and he had a beard and looked like he was out of Easy Rider.  I stared at him for a minute and it looked like he was looking directly at me so I gave him a thumbs up and he nodded.  That was cool!

At least 4 buses filled with passengers passed me, some not even stopping but I finally got on an Envigado bus even though I didn’t get a seat until about halfway back home.

In Envigado the bus took the wrong side of a y-intersection for me so I got off, cut through the Texaco station and was back at the apt by 6:30.

To one of my blog readers, I loved the comedy series Seinfeld!  I remember I once recorded all - what was it, 206? - episodes!

For dinner I just had Teresa heat up a can of chili for me.

I ordered a red umbrella for Laura and tried to order a Fossil webbed belt for myself but was told there was a problem with my order.  When I called using my magicJack I was told their office was closed.  I’ll try again tomorrow.

It started raining hard about 8pm.  I think it’s been weeks since it rained last.


T-shirt of the day: I’m a secondhand vegetarian.  Cows eat grass.  I eat cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment