Friday, November 2, 2018

Thursday, November 1, 2018

I got up at 6:30 because I knew we still had a lot of work to do.  When the movers arrived about 7:30 they loaded the truck with the washer, our bed, a storage cabinet and more small tables.  At 8am I went to a local paint store where I bought another roll of packing tape.

At one point Teresa informed me that she was giving our couch to the mover because it would be too difficult to take upstairs to the apt.  I asked her how she knew since they haven’t even tried.  (I think she really despises that couch but we really don’t have money right now for another.)

Unbelievably, the youngest mover put his head into the middle of the sofa and carried it all the way to the new apt.  With a little effort they managed to get the sofa into the elevator and up to the 4th floor with only a minor tear.

Our bed frame was another matter.  I understood it wouldn’t fit in either the elevator or the stairs.  I thought we were going to have to dismantle it but they tied a rope to it and dragged it up over the balcony.  At least now we know we can sleep here tonight.

We left the apt at 11:30 and for the 3rd time in as many days we had lunch at the same restaurant in Buena Mesa.  I reminded Laura to call Une and she said she called last night and they are coming tomorrow.  At 12:15 it started raining and Teresa and Laura took a taxi back to the old apt to start cleaning it and wait for Esmeralda to arrive.

I walked towards downtown and with just my small umbrella I was soaked from the waist down by the time I arrived at Bartolos.  I found a table inside and I waited about 20 minutes for the rain to stop and to dry off a little.  During that time no waiter came to take my coffee order as they were obviously busy serving lunch.

I walked over to Cotrafa and as I expected it was closed until 2pm.  I walked to the corner bakery where I had a couple café con leches and exchanged some text messages with Laura.  We had left a few windows open and Laura was inquiring as to whether anything was wet.  (Difficult to tell since I’m not there; and if I was there I wouldn’t have internet anyway.)

At 2pm I returned to Cotrafa to pay the epm bill and there was a long line.  (Btw, we are moving from Estrato 3 to Estrato 5 so I expect our utilities to go up about 10% next month.)  I paid the bill then went a couple blocks to Todo Drogas where I bought my medicine and vitamins for the month.  I stopped at Gana where I added 20mil to my cellphone for emergencies.  I made a withdrawal from the ATM and then bought a new container of Bi-Pro protein powder.

I walked back to the new apt.  Luckily, even though we left the master bedroom window open and the balcony window ajar, nothing was wet.  (Storms here come from the east and almost all our windows face west so I think we should be safe most of the time.)  I plugged the refrigerator back in; for some reason Teresa said we had to wait 2 hours.  Okay.

Besides my chess table I’m noticing a number of things still missing: like the TV, the microwave, my large umbrella, and the rest of my clothes from the closet.

About 4pm Teresa arrived with Esmeralda and a few more odds and ends from the apt.  (Still, none of the things I just mentioned.)
They transferred food they brought with them into the freezer.  
They left again about 4:15 for more stuff.

I can’t wait until this move is over and we start to resume some semblance of normalcy again.  It will also be interesting to explore the area outside a little.  (I know we’re just up the street from a pizza place, just down the street from the La Buena Mesa restaurant area, 10 minutes from Viva Envigado and probably 15-20 minutes from downtown Envigado.  All times are walking of course.)

Esmeralda and Laura returned about 5:15 with more food but I noticed the shelves have been removed from the refrigerator and Laura doesn’t want me to clean them and install them so we can put things back.

(Again, they had none of the things I mentioned above.)

The ladies believe the Direct TV guy will help install the TV on the wall.  I certainly hope so.  Laura lent me her cellphone charger so at least I can start charging my phone.  They left at 5:45 for more stuff and then I put a few things on the floor of the refrigerator.

At 6:25 I looked out of the door peephole and I saw that the hallway light was finally on.  Since I couldn’t find a switch anywhere obviously it must be on a timer.

They came back at 6:45.  We must have spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to put the shelves back in the fridge and the freezer.  We’ve had this problem before so I told Teresa to take shelves out one at a time, wash it, then put it back.  Of course we couldn’t do that this time.  I offered to use a permanent marker on each one; I guess we’ll go back to the original plan.

They also brought the microwave but it’s too deep to fit on the shelf I think it is intended for so we put it on the counter.  I went downstairs with Esmeralda to her car and we brought up the TV and put it on the guest bed.

About 7:45 Teresa ordered chicken from Frisby then they went to the old apt to pick up Laura.  Since I wasn’t sure of the procedure I went downstairs to the guardhouse.  On the way I heard fireworks and the portero confirmed that A/N won.  Within 5 minutes the Frisby guy arrived, I paid 70,000 pesos and took the food upstairs. 
I called Teresa to let her know the food has arrived.  I cleared away part of the dining room table and ate my Combo #2.  Now there’s room for the 3 of them to sit down together.
They came back at 8:30.

Esmeralda left about 9pm and we gave her 50mil for her help.

Teresa informed me that I have to give the agency 200mil and when I have paid next month’s utility bill they will refund the 200.

I forgot to pay my health insurance today so I might as well also pay the gym and Direct TV also.

Teresa really needs the counter top space so I understand we’ll try to find a smaller microwave that will fit and we’ll give Wilson & MT our current one.

We downsized when we moved from the finca to the apt in Envigado.  We downsized again on this move but we still have things we have to move (aka get rid of).  Some things are due to a change in circumstances.  Examples: 1) I bought about 30 feet of HDMI cable to reach from the computer to the TV, now that distance should be less than 6 feet; 2) I had a fan under my computer table because I was in the back room with little ventilation, now my computer is on a desk close enough to reach out and touch the balcony door.

We were all exhausted so we went to bed at 10pm.

Joke of the day
Reasons for Sensitivity Training for Men:
I was devastated to find out my wife was having an affair but, by turning to religion, I was soon able to come to terms with the whole thing.  I converted to Islam, and we're stoning her in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment