Friday, November 9, 2018

Thursday, November 8, 2018


Last night I went to bed at 11:30, got up once at 5am, took a little while to fall back asleep and finally woke/got up at 7:30.

Still no internet.

I emailed Jose about my 35 Cine Colombia visits and he explained that when they say “next period” they mean “next year”.  So I guess I have to wait until January 1st to get my Platinum card.

I left the apt about 9:30 just as the Direct TV guy was arriving.  I took a taxi to the Inter-Col office in Medellin.  (At first the taxi driver took me to their old location across from Unicentro mall and I had to inform him that they moved.  Luckily, it’s only a few blocks away.)

At Inter-Col I gave Estefania my passport and 2018 SS benefits statement.  She looked at the start and expiration dates of my cedulas and then informed me that since I have a few days missing I don’t have 5 continuous years.  Therefore, unless I have a “Salvo Conducto” (whatever that is) instead of a 5 year residency visa I need to have one more pensionado visa - but at least it’s good for 3 years.  (Other good news I believe it’s less expensive.)  She said I have to fulfill a new requirement – they need my most recent bank statement by this afternoon so she can get things rolling in Bogota.  I gave her 1,101,000 pesos towards my total of 1,771,000 with the balance of 670,000 pesos to be paid when I pick up my passport with the new visa.

I took the papers she printed out to the Notary.  I had number 68 and they were serving 66 so there was only a short wait.  When it was my turn I signed and fingerprinted 3 pages.  While waiting I again noticed the sign for the cashier is translated into English as “box” instead of “cashier”.  I mentioned this to the man, who spoke a little English, and he said “that’s what everyone says”.  I paid 17,136 pesos and then a lady took the papers in to the notary who added his official scrawl.

I walked over to Unicentro mall where I withdrew 300mil pesos from a BBVA ATM and I was charged 4,800 pesos.  Why?  Because this is a different ATM?  Because this is my 2nd withdrawal of the month?  I have no idea but it certainly bears further study.

I returned the notarized papers to Inter-Col and she took them and my passport.  She also took a photo of me right there.

Outside I took a taxi through heavy traffic to NYC for a haircut.  When we arrived it looked like it was closed so I asked the driver to wait.  I knocked on the door but there was no answer.  I asked the driver to take me to Viva Laureles so I could have lunch.  A minute later I changed my mind and asked the driver to take me to Parque Envigado.

Again traffic was heavy and it’s incredible the bobbing and weaving the driver did through heavy traffic.  Things got better when we got to the highway.

I had lunch at Bartolos for 13mil.  On the way back to the apt I stopped at the local Exito for a couple boxes of cereal and a bag of milk.

Back at the apt at 1:30 I learned: 1) Une is coming sometime this afternoon; 2) Teresa has a doctor’s appointment for a biopsy and they will call her at 2:30 to tell her when (maybe today); 3) I have to help Laura make a payment for her au pair at an Itui bank; 4) I have to email my bank statement to Inter-Col.

Everything is going on today and we will need something like 1 million pesos to read her biopsy and Laura needs $160 for the agency.

Finally Teresa talked to the doctor’s secretary and her appointment is for 1:30pm tomorrow.  At least that settled numbers 1 & 2.

Laura called me from Parque Envigado and asked me to meet her in the park.  She told me to take a bus and then hung up without telling which bus.

As I was approaching Avenida Poblado I saw 2 buses in a row and I asked the driver in one of them if he was going direct to Parque Envigado and he said “yes”.  Only he didn’t, he turned a couple blocks before and went down the street towards Comfama.  I got off and walked the last couple blocks.

I met Laura at the park with Chuck standing next to her.  I asked him if he had my 50,000 pesos and he gave it to me.  (I won that because the Republicans did not keep the majority in the House of Representatives.)  I told Chuck I would be busy with Laura and he left.  First Laura and I went to a nearby ATM where I made a withdrawal.  We went to the Itau bank where we deposited 518,000 pesos into the au pair agency account.

We then took a slow bus to Parque Poblado where we met with another Laura in the au pair agency.  She spent at least an hour explaining more procedures to Laura.  When it was my turn I asked about the financial support information I gave to Laura.  I was told that the only thing lacking is a letter which is basically a form stating that I am supporting Laura financially.  I asked about setting a departure date and was informed that it’s already been set – January 21st.  Surprise!  I asked about the cost of a flight to Bogota and she used www.VivaAir.com and booked a flight for 185mil.  Laura leaves next Sunday and comes back on Tuesday.  I asked about buying a winter coat for Laura and was told that the girls that are going to be au pairs in the US next January will have a meeting late in December or early in January where such things will be covered.

Laura and I took an even slower bus (20 minutes to go through the Gold Mile) back to the apt.  She told me she has scheduled driving practice for Saturday.  We stopped at Aymara where we picked up some pastries for dinner. Esmeralda was there when we arrived.  
We have internet again but they moved the router to the other side of the patio door.  (I understand the cable from the original location is faulty.)  I did a speed test with SpeedTest.net and got 7.72 download and 2.07 upload – not too shabby.

Joke of the day
A Wal-Mart greeter one day sees an ugly woman come into the store with 2 kids.  He asks her “Are those kids yours?” 
She says, “Yes, why?” 
He replies “I can’t believe someone actually fucked you twice!”

2 comments:

  1. Terry, The word 'caja' in spanish is used that way because long before computer cash registers existed and even before plain old cash registers came into use, stores and little shops used cigar boxes to keep the cash in, so the word for box, 'caja' came to be used in the way you noticed in that office. Likewise, the word for cashier (cajero, -a) developed from the same word 'caja'. And an ATM in spanish is called a 'cajero automático, which is also derived from the word 'caja'.

    OK — HTH

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Thanks for letting me know more about the history of "caja".

    ReplyDelete