Friday, November 23, 2018

Thursday, November 22, 2018


Happy Thanksgiving to all of you back in the States and those of you from the States and now living here.

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up only once, finally waking/getting up at 6:30.

Teresa informed me that she’s going to call her doctor as soon as his office opens and we’ll take the first appointment available so there is a possibility we could be late for my game.

I dressed and left the apt at 8am, walked down to the mall, went upstairs to Banco Sudameris and I found it open and there were no customers.

I apologized to the cashier for my poor Spanish but I said I wanted to pay for my foreign Pensionado visa.  He kind of looked at me slyly like he’s done this before.  I paid, he stapled a receipt to my document and added a fancy stamp.

Outside the bank I took a photo of my receipt and forwarded it to the cellphone number I had saved for Inter-Col.  I asked “How soon will it be available for pickup?”  A few minutes later she wrote back “Approximately in 4 business days, but I advise you to pick up the visa.”  Huh?  (Another case of understanding each word but not the meaning which often happens to me with Spanish but this was in English.)

I stopped at Habia Una Vez for a café con leche for 3,600 pesos.

As I was leaving the mall I asked a security guard standing outside the parking entrance if I could get to the gym through here.  She said just go straight ahead and take the elevator to the 4th floor.  (In my gym clothes that will be quicker and more convenient than going inside the mall.)

It’s so nice being out early in the morning when it’s cooler.

I stopped in Exito and bought a dozen eggs and they gave me a free loaf of fresh baguette bread.

When I got back to the elevator Teresa informed me she has an appointment for next Tuesday. But today we have to go to the doctor’s office in El Tesoro for some preparation for the exam.  I understand we’re going to do that right after my game today.

Laura sent me a couple files (medical orders?) that we have to print.

Teresa and I left the apt at 12:10 and arrived at Patrick’s Irish Sports Pub at 12:25.  They were already open and several tables were taken.  We went inside and found a good spot in front of a TV showing my game.  We ordered our turkey lunch and then Chuck and Nardelly arrived.  The Bears number one quarterback has some shoulder stiffness he suffered last Sunday night so Chase Daniel, the backup, started instead.  The turkey plate was with everything but it was from a turkey roll instead of the normal turkey.  The Bears were up 9-7 at halftime.  About 3pm it started raining lightly.  There were a couple Lions fans on the other side of the bar but they soon had nothing to cheer about as the Bears prevailed 23-16.  On to the N.Y. Giants.

We shared a taxi back to Envigado.

Teresa has another exam early tomorrow morning in Poblado for about 700mil.  She will see a doctor next Tuesday for I think 1,500,000 pesos.  I told her I’ve just about run out of my savings so that will be it for this month.

Esmeralda came over and I made a trip to the mall where I printed her documents and made another ATM withdrawal.

Back at the apt I made garlic bread with the free baguette but we couldn’t find any aluminum foil.  We put it on the metal oven sheet (I don’t know what it’s called).  I overcooked it a little but it was okay.

It finally stopped raining about 7pm.

I watched some of the Saints vs Falcons game until I went to bed at 10:15.

Joke of the day
Stalin goes to visit one of the collectives outside Moscow.  He wants to see how they are doing with the latest 5-Year Plan.
“Tell me, comrade,” he asks one farmer.  “How did the potatoes do this year?”
“Very well, Comrade Stalin.  If we piled them up, they would reach God.”
“But God does not exist, Comrade Farmer.”
“Nor do the potatoes, Comrade Stalin.”

No comments:

Post a Comment