Thursday, November 8, 2018

Tuesday, November 6, 2018


Last night we went to bed at 10:30, I got up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7:15.

It’s finally here; today is Election Day in the US!

We still have no internet.

I left the apt at 8:50am and walked to the metro.  My usual 10 minute walk from the old apt is now closer to 25 minutes.  I talked briefly with Herman.

I took the metro to the stadium station and met Jose right at 10am. He said he talked to the secretary and learned that in January there will be another continental tournament this time in the Envigado library.

I had the Black pieces in the first game and he blundered (I forked his king and queen) on his 14th move and resigned.  We replayed some of the moves to compare notes as to what we were thinking.
We walked over to El Obelisco mall where we had lunch as usual at El Tropical for 10,500 pesos.

Back at the chess league I had the White pieces and I held out until the 42nd move before resigning.

As we left about 2:45 we felt a couple raindrops, observed some dark clouds approaching and heard thunder.

We said goodbye at the metro station with the plan to meet again next Tuesday.

Outside the Envigado station the ground was a little damp but luckily it wasn’t raining.  I took the metro bus up to the park.  I was unsuccessful getting internet outside city hall.  I walked to the small internet café where I printed out some information for Laura’s au pair requirements.

I walked to the apt and as I got off the elevator a Direct TV guy was waiting to enter.  Inside the apt Teresa told me that the Direct TV guy and Esmeralda’s brother have been there all day installing the TV.  The television is mounted against the wall but it isn’t working – something about us needing permission from the owner to make holes in the wall.

When Laura returned she gave me $2 and asked me to change it to pesos for her.  I told her that’s about 6,000 pesos.  She said “that’s all?”  I said “yes” and it might be enough to buy her a cup of coffee in the US, depending on where she goes.

She said I need to write a letter stating that I’m helping her with her finances but she needs to talk to Laura at the agency to learn more about its content.

Laura spent some time in the evening on the phone with Une.  They weren’t able to fix it over the phone but I understand they will come Thursday afternoon.

Teresa found her old recipe for making muffins.  The only thing is I think we need to buy a mixer.

While messing around with the router the cable connected to my computer came loose and now I don’t know which of 6 different ports it was connected to.

Joke of the day
A former Sergeant in the Marine Corps took a new job as a high
school teacher. Just before the school year started, he injured his back and was required to wear a plaster cast around the upper part of his body.
Fortunately, the cast fit under his shirt and wasn't noticeable. On the
first day of class, he found himself assigned to the toughest students in
the school. The smart-aleck punks, having already heard the new teacher was
a former Marine, were leery of him and he knew they would be testing his
discipline in the classroom. Walking confidently into the rowdy classroom,
the new teacher opened the window wide and sat down at his desk. When a
strong breeze made his tie flap, he picked up a stapler and stapled the tie
to his chest.
Dead silence...

2 comments:

  1. BINGO, Terry! That's joke #3 that I never heard before. LOL - Thanx!! As we keep getting older the 'new' jokes keep coming further & further apart, sigh.

    However, it is important to note that no joke is old if the person you're telling it to hasn't heard it before. (Thanks to comic Milton Berle for that astute observation.)

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete