Monday, February 7, 2022

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, fell asleep quickly, got up once at 2am, woke up at 6:30, did my Kegel exercises, and got up.

I met Glenn at the gas station. I pointed out the building across the street is the new Las Americas Clinic. We took a taxi to Parque Poblado and walked down 3 blocks to Hija Mia Nomada. One of the texts from the Facebook chess group was about meeting at Pequeña Gran Libreria this afternoon at 12:30. I googled the location and it appears it’s on the other side of the block across the street from Hija Mia. I think I might check it out this afternoon after lunch. We each tried their Breakfast Bagel but weren’t crazy about their fatty bacon nor the spicy sauce that was in it. We took a taxi back to Envigado.

Laura left at 12:15 with Teresa and 2 large suitcases, a carry-on, a winter coat and one of those bean bag neck things. She will probably return with Lenny next year (2023).

My original plan was to go to Philly Cheesesteak for their signature dish then go to the chess meetup.

Back at the apt I watched more episodes of The Wire.

I left at 2:30 and took a bus to the same spot we got out this morning. I walked down 3 blocks to La Pequeña Gran Libreria at Calle12 #43D-43.

It’s a small neighborhood bookstore with a few chess tables set up.




There were a few men playing. I noticed this yellow vertical sign that the owner (who plays himself) charges 10mil to play for the day. “Puedes jugar ajedrez todo el dia por 10000. Hora a 5000.”



Across the street I noticed 404 Pizza which is supposed to have the best pizza in Medellin.



I was talking to a young man named Eric when it started raining. We decided to go across the street for pizza. We shared a pizza at 404 Pizza while playing a game of chess on his cellphone. (I won.) He’s from Toronto, Canada and has been here 2 months and plans to stay a few more.

When I left, I walked a few blocks up to Avenida Poblado where I soon was on an Envigado bus.

Back at the apt I watched Groundhog Day (8.0), not for the first time. Most of the outdoor scenes were filmed in Woodstock Illinois not Punxsutawney Pennsylvania. At one point I noticed a store named Woodstock Jewelers in the background. I texted my brother about it and he responded that at that moment he was having dinner one block from that Woodstock square.

Teresa returned at 9pm.

My current Chess.com correspondence rating is 1602.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 322,463 ð 304,864 ð 298,641 new cases and 2,639 ð 2,571 ð 2,576 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday, Colombia has a total of 13,390 ð 12,567 ð 10,356 new cases with 239 ð 236 ð 239 new deaths. Medellin has 632 ð 622 ð 413 new cases from February 5th to 6th. Envigado has 23 ð 47 ð 17 new cases from February 5th to 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment