Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Happy Twos Day!

About midnight a doctor came in and said, “Terry Lee”, and I said, “Yo soy”. After that the conversation was all in English. He asked me where I am from, and I said the United States. He asked me if I’m having trouble peeing and I said I did. He said he could fix that.

WARNING! The following paragraph is very graphic.

He left and came back a couple minutes later and put a number of items on the side of my bed. One looked like a rod at least 18” long. Gulp! He opened a packet and took out a pair of gloves and put them over the gloves he was already wearing. He opened a small tube and spread some brown stuff on the inside of the packet. He then cleaned my penis three different times so maybe there was more than one tube. He took off those gloves and put them inside the packet with the used tube and put it to the side. He opened another packet and put on another pair of gloves. He opened another tube and put something on the end of it and said this is the anesthesia. He put it inside the tip of my penis and squeezed it in. He opened the package with the long rod and said “it might be better if you didn’t look”. I looked at the ceiling and five seconds later I looked back down and urine was coming out of the other end of the rod into the container. I almost filled it halfway reaching 450CCs. He removed the rod, I felt much relieved and he left.

At one point in the middle of the night I heard a beeping sound outside like a truck backing up. It went on for about half an hour, then Teresa got up and I soon learned it was from behind me, the fluid had run out. I rang for the nurse several times but it was at least another 30 minutes before a nurse came and quickly turned it off.

My breakfast was two dinner rolls, a chunk of Colombian cheese and a café con leche (at least it was warm).

I got up and did some walking in the hallway.

Again I was concerned I hadn’t peed but finally it happened so I felt I was ready to go home.

By 10am we were ready to leave, we just needed to see the doctor, get our papers, and have the IVs removed from my hand.

At noon Teresa went to the cafeteria and came back with a plate of chicken breast, rice, salad, a glass of watermelon juice and a little dessert. I wolfed all of it down and Teresa went back to get lunch for herself. In the meantime a worker showed up and delivered my lunch.

Dr. Gomez finally showed up at 1pm and informed me that surgery went well, I should stay home for the first week and then I could start resuming normal activities as long as I avoided heavy lifting. I would see him next week and he would remove the drain in my side.

My surgical site is a little numb. Kind of like when your arm falls asleep, you can feel it when you touch it but it doesn’t feel quite right.

A few minutes later Teresa reported that Dr. Gomez was sleeping in the next room. We’re at the end of the hall in room 505 so that means he’s in room 504.

We had to wait a couple more hours until we got our discharge papers, including medicine I will be taking for the next week. We even have a paper that says we can get a 410mil refund at Bancolombia.

In the meantime, I found The Family Man (6.8) on Claro TV and watched it in Spanish. Teresa talked to a couple in the hallway; he had just gotten a prostatectomy and was busy walking the halls.

A tallish slim blond poked her head in the room and left. She obviously was not on staff nor a patient. Later I saw here try to get into room 504 but it was locked. She came back a little later and a nurse let her in. Hmmm!

We had to wait a couple more hours for someone to remove my IVs from my hand and I got into a wheelchair and was taken downstairs. There was a Todo Drogas on their property, so Teressa filled my prescriptions right away.

Of course, we hit the rush hour traffic and didn’t return to the apt until 6:15.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 108,240  ð 107,065 ð 86,553 new cases and 2,227  ð 2,218 ð 1,939 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday, Colombia has a total of 3,381 ð 2,910 ð 2,174 newly reported cases with 127  ð 110 ð 80 newly reported deaths. Medellin has 165  ð 139 ð 97 new cases from February 21st to 22nd. Envigado has 6  ð 7 ð 5 new cases from February 21st to 22nd.

 

Funny pix of the day



3 comments:

  1. Terry, I am relieved your surgery went well. I was surprised you were not in lots of pain. That is encouraging as it looks like I have 0ne (maybe two) hernias I will have to have corrected. hope all goes well for you.
    Jack (john) Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Terry on the success with your surgery. Wishing you a swift recovery!

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey fella, looks like you're doing well. Hang in there.

    Jackal

    ReplyDelete