Saturday, October 7, 2023

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Last night we went to bed at 12:30 and I fell asleep quickly. We woke up and soon figured out (each of our cellphones were recharging) it was 7:30am.

We had the complimentary buffet breakfast in the hotel.

Laura definitely needed shoes and optionally a dress so we took an Uber to an area with a H&M store. (Btw, all the Ubers here are yellow taxis.) There were about 5 streets radiating off a traffic circle. There was a street-level monorail going down the street.




In the first shop she tried she found a dress but wanted to buy shoes first. We went down another street and found a H&M but I guess they didn’t find anything because they soon returned. We walked down another leg where Laura found a nice pair of shoes. We returned to the first shop and while they were inside I had a latte next door in a cafĂ© called Cup or What?, Foivis 11 Glyfada 16674.



It started raining lightly before they came out. Laura ordered an Uber and we returned to the hotel in a light drizzle. Laura was a few minutes late for her 12:30 makeup/hair appointment so she called the hotel to report she was on her way.

In the hotel restaurant Teresa ordered a chicken salad (I wasn’t hungry yet). As she was finishing, she complained that there was too much lettuce. I love lettuce so I finished her salad. It was f***g freezing in the restaurant so I moved out to the patio to where it was merely cold.

Teresa got her hair and makeup done between 2 and 3pm. She ironed my linen jacket and pants in the hotel ironing room.

We left at 4:30 and took an Uber (taxi) to Island Art & Taste, Vari 166 72. Google it!



Besides the building itself, there’s a grassy area (artificial) and a patio area enclosed in plastic except the end towards the Aegean Sea. There were about 6 rows of chairs separated by an aisle. Waiters walked around offering glasses of wine and there was an open bar for cocktails. They had a professional photographer and Jeannie encouraged everyone to have a good time instead of taking photos. The professional photos should be available by mid-October. They had a violinist playing until the ceremony started and then again until the dancing started later.

At 5:30 the wedding planner invited me into the bride’s room. Jeannie looked beautiful in her wedding dress. 



That's my girl! (Ignore the toilet in the background).

I walked her out of the building and across the patio to the “altar” where I handed her off to Jim, her step-father. Jimmy, my son, officiated, somewhat humorously, and “married” them.

Flashback: Jeannie’s mother, Annette, was dying of blood cancer, so on Mother’s Day, May 14th, Jacob & Jeannie officially got married in her mother’s house so she could be part of the ceremony and celebration. She passed the following Friday morning, May 19th.

Jimmy made it light-hearted and went through the motions of marrying them.

We were all then asked to take our seats for dinner. At our table, besides myself, Teresa and Laura, were Jimmy’s cousin Michael (aka Mr_Blamo), his son, and his son’s mother Iryna originally from Kyiv, now living in Praque.

AA OUR TABLE VIDEO

The goofy one on the right is my son. :( 

Each place setting they had one of these fans:

 



 

“WELCOME TO THE WEDDING OF

JEANNIE + JACOB

SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2023, FIVE THIRTY IN THE EVENING

TO OUR GUESTS

THANK YOU FOR TRAVELING ALL THE WAY TO GREECE TO BE WITH US ON THIS INCREDIBLY SPECIAL DAY. WE LOVE YOU AND CANNOT WAIT TO CELEBRATE WITH YOU!

THE PROGRAM

CEREMONY

COCKTAIL HOUR

FIRST DANCE

SPEECHES

DANCING

LATE NIGHT GYROS

*VAN TRANSPORT TO HOTELS – 11PM-2AM*

 

And an Evil Eye.



This what it says if you have trouble reading it, “The Evil Eye is believed to keep us safe from jealousy and harm, so they are given to bless and protect those you love. Jeannie & Jacob. September 5, 2023.”

Next were the speeches: I spoke for about 5 minutes (I could have gone longer) and at one point I paused for about 20 seconds then said, “don’t worry folks, I’m not having a Mitch McConnell moment” which got the biggest laugh (my opinion) of the night.

A couple photos with the bride:





This may be the first time Teresa has seen me dance:



The old man still has a few moves.

Dinner was a buffet that included lots of fish and seafood so I’m sure Teresa and Laura were happy.

Jeannie & Jacob Tache cut the wedding cake but I guess it was just a small cake for photos as nothing was passed out to guests.




They started the music and I got the first dance with the bride and a minute later Jim cut in. The first song for everyone to join in was Runaround Sue in honor of Annette’s love for dancing to the oldies.

Later they had some Greek dancing but I restrained myself from joining.

For dessert everyone was given a dish with a ball of vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate (frozen ice cream?).

At midnight I ordered an Uber but by the time we found the right exit the car was inside the grounds and we were outside. We finally got together and the driver returned us to our hotel.

We missed out on the Late Night Gyros. Later, Jeannie told me they didn’t leave until 3am.

 

Twitter ‘Hall of Fame’ Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment