Saturday, December 12, 2015

Friday, December 11th, 2015



It took a while to fall asleep but then I didn’t awaken until 8:30 finally getting up at 9:15.

Teresa told me Peluche is sick.  He’s lying on a blanket, wouldn’t eat food placed right in front of him but he did eat most, but not all, of a dog biscuit I gave him.

Teresa called Ana Milena Mosquera and I understand she’ll be at the immigration office at 2pm.

Among this week’s new US movie releases I would like to see In the Heart of the Sea (7.4), The Big Short (8.1) and Don Verdean (6.0).

Locally, there isn’t anything I really want to see.

We left the finca at 12:30pm, the killer dogs came out and I gave each of them a dog biscuit.  Another dog also came out but didn’t really enter the path.  At the top of the hill a puppy came by and I gave him one.  The small dog that lives in the old Don Carlos finca came by and I broke one of the dog biscuits in half and offered it to him but he wasn’t interested.  I offered the small piece to the puppy and he just about took my fingers off getting at it.  I just tossed the other half to him.

We had to wait about 30 minutes for a bus to Aguacatala.  The two cranes that had been towering over that new bridge have been removed.  Traffic again got heavy as we approached Medellin.  At Aguacatala we quickly caught a Circular Sur 303 bus and we got off at Parque Belen.  We were only a short walk from the immigration office when Teresa declared she was hungry.  Teresa informed me that Ana Milena would be there from 2-4pm so we weren’t in any hurry.  (Btw, last year I started this process 7 days before expiration, this year it’s 11 days before.  I think the most important thing is to renew the visa prior to expiration.)  We had a typical lunch at a corner restaurant for about 16mil.

At the immigration office we waited about 30 minutes for our chance to talk to Ana.  (I passed the ¾ point in my book.)  She confirmed that I don’t need a lawyer to have my Pensionado Visa renewed but I still need to have my Social Security benefits letter apostilled.  She said she knows someone in town that could take care of the apostille for $100 but for some reason we have to come back Monday so she can call him.  

When we left the office Teresa told me that they are very expensive and she thought we should go back to where we got my visa and cedula handled last year.  Luckily, I had their business card with me taped to an index card.

We took a taxi to Unicentro and then walked the extra block to Inter-Col.  We walked in and I immediately recognized Martha.  Teresa complimented her on looking younger; I think she lost some weight.  To process my Pensionado Visa and Cedula the charge is 1,260,000COP ($400).

They took my passport, cedula and Social Security letter.  They filled out what I believe was a letter to the US embassy requesting an apostilled SS benefit statement.  Since I didn’t have this information with me they asked me to email them my bank account number and photo of my Social Security card tomorrow before 10am.  I signed the letter and a couple others.  I glanced at one and it looked familiar as the 2nd page had questions like “Have you visited Liberia (etc.) in the last 6 months?” and “Have you had sex with a man in the last 6 months?”.  Btw, a definite NO to both questions.

Martha drove us to the other side of UPB to a notary where we had some pages notarized for 3,500COP.

 She dropped us off at Unicentro and we went inside where we found a FotoJapon where I got 2 color photos: one for my Visa and the other for my Cedula for 20mil.  I found a currency exchange called Valores & Servicios so I took their business card.  They have another location in Los Molinos.  I took out some cash from a Bancolombia ATM.

Back at the office they returned my Cedula and I gave them a 800,000COP downpayment.

We walked back to Exito where we each had a slice of cake in their deli for 4,800COP.  We picked up some sliced ham, Swiss cheese (I finally found it), a loaf of bread and a couple bottles of sauce and we took a taxi to Poblado station.  After a 20 minute wait we were on an express bus back to the finca.  Teresa told me we would have to pay 8mil instead of the usual 6mil – something to do with Christmas.  (Merry Christmas, now that will be 2,000 more pesos please!  Lol)

It was a cool night which made it easier getting up the hill without sweating.  

The killer dogs came out as we passed Guillermo’s house so I tossed them a couple dog biscuits and they left us alone.  We got back to the finca by 8:15pm.

Teresa made a ham sandwich for me with the fixings we had picked up at Exito.  She made one for herself and really liked it.

Teresa noticed Peluche is getting too skinny so she called the veterinarian that lives in the area and he came by a few minutes later.  First we tied up Peluche’s mouth to be sure he wouldn’t bite.  Peluche took it all in stride although I don’t believe he would bite anyway.  The vet checked his eyes, his teeth (maybe his gums) and then inserted a rectal thermometer.  He carefully examined his leg and I think he has something like a hip separation.  Anyway he said it would require surgery to repair for about 1,000,000COP which I was prepared to spend.  But then he said it could require 1 or more months of recuperation and Peluche might aggravate the wound anyway.  I understand it’s a chronic condition and he said it could get very expensive.  He suggested we separate Peluche from the other dogs for 5 days and if he isn’t better (from malnutrition?) he suggested euthenasia.  We put down some food for him but he only ate about 4 pieces.  I gave him a dog biscuit and he ate it with relish.  The vet said that the dog biscuits aren’t really good for the dogs – it’s like candy.  The vet said the NutreCan dog food we’ve been using isn’t very nutricious.  He recommended and one of 4 others: Nutra Nugget, Hill, ProPlan, or Equilibrio and the good news is that we can give them less of it so there should be less for us to have to carry.

He had Teresa make up some weak pineapple juice and we forced Peluche to swallow a few vials of it.

Teresa and the vet talked and talked, and not just about the fox terriers.  I heard Guillermo’s name mentioned more than once.  Finally the vet left at 11:30 and I gave him 25mil for his time.

I took 2 sleeping pills and went to bed.

T-shirt of the day: Stunningly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment