Friday, December 11, 2015

Thursday, December 10th, 2015



I slept well despite getting up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 8:50am.

Teresa called the immigration lady we met last July, Ana Milena Mosquera, who told us to come in tomorrow and she’ll check something to see if it is necessary for me to have an Apostilled benefits letter.  If she can’t verify it I’ll probably have to pay $400 or so to a lawyer to handle the Pensionado Visa renewal process.

Teresa talked to Elda in Sopetran and then called her brother Wilson.  She talked very excitedly in a loud voice.  I understand she doesn’t want Laura working at the Parque Lleras restaurant Triada anymore because she believes it is dangerous because of the drunks.

We left the finca at 1pm, got past the killer dogs undetected and only had to wait 2 minutes for a bus to Aguacatala.  Traffic was very slow as we approached Medellin due to an accident between a car and a motorcycle that was blocking one lane.  

At Santafe CC Teresa found a blouse at Forever 21 while I waited outside reading my paperback book.  I’m past the 2/3 point.  We both went into Zara where Teresa exchanged a blouse for another blouse and slacks.  (Back at the finca she didn’t like the blouse and wants to exchange it.)  While waiting in line I heard 2 gringos in front of me speaking English.  I asked them where they are from and one of them said L.A. and I didn’t understand what he said about the other man who didn’t speak at all.  I asked again and still didn’t understand what he said so I dropped it and they didn’t appear to want to speak further so I shut up.

I understood Teresa wanted to have lunch at Triada, the restaurant Laura works at.  I gave Teresa a card with the address of the restaurant and she told the taxi driver.  They had some words and I understood he would take us to Parque Lleras but didn’t want to take us to the restaurant because of traffic.  I told the driver Parque Lleras close the restaurant would be fine and Teresa finally agreed.  (From the park I can read addresses and figure out how to get to the restaurant or we can just ask someone.)  He told us there are something like 5,000 gringos visiting Medellin for the holidays.  He ended up getting us to the park through the back way and dropped us off right at the restaurant.

We arrived at 4:05pm and Laura is supposed to start work at 4pm.  We got a table and waiting a few minutes I ordered their ribs and Teresa their salmon.  I also had 2 small Cokes and Teresa had coconut lemonade.  Laura arrived about 4:20 and I gave her 20mil for something to eat because I understand they don’t feed their servers.  While waiting for our dishes I noticed a sign offering Christmas bus tours (Turibus Navideno Medellin) from November 28th through January 11th excluding December 24th, 25th, 31st and January 1st.  www.TuribusColombia.com.  Teresa pointed out a hostel across the street so I stopped and picked up their business card: Hostal Lleras Calle 8.  Calle 8 #37-59. Email: reservas@hostalLlerasCalle8.com.  Website: www.HostalLlerasCalle8.com.  (I checked their website real quick and it looks pretty expensive.)  When our orders came my dish consisted of 4 hickory smoked ribs that were sufficiently meaty, skinny fries that were more like potato sticks and a salad.  Teresa had a nice large piece of salmon with salad.  We both enjoyed our meals and including tax and a very generous tip the total came to 70mil.  (The bill said we received a 30% discount; I’m not sure why, maybe because we ate early or maybe because Laura works there.)

We said goodbye to Laura and walked a few blocks west of Parque Lleras to Parque Poblado where we caught a taxi.  The driver told us that Medellin is playing Atletico Nacional tonight so there won’t be a lot of taxis.  He also mentioned that it’s dangerous to go to that game because of all the fanatics.  At the highway, after a 20 minute wait and not getting on about 3 of our usual buses, we took a Santa Barbara bus and traffic was heavy as people were trying to get home to watch the match.  We got off at the junction and walked a block to the other side where there is a small store.  On the way it was obvious from the little puddles that there had been some rain today.  After a 10 minute wait we were on a Jerico bus.

An older man and young couple got off the bus with us.  There was a 4-wheel vehicle waiting at the bottom of the sideroad.  They all got in and invited us to join them but Teresa declined as she believes I need more exercise.  Aargh!

We got past the killer dogs undetected and were back at the finca by 7:30.  Teresa had left the dog’s blankets outside and they were soaked.  We went to the back shed where she kept another set that had been cleaned and dried.

I went to have some chips and salsa and found the latter was spoiled.

I took 3 sleeping pills at 11pm and went to bed.

T-shirt of the day: It’s all about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment