Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Tuesday, December 1st, 2015



I slept pretty well despite getting up 3 times during the night.

My brother and I have started planning their visit here in January & February.

I’m trading emails with the secretary of the Chess League in order to get more details of the upcoming tournament.

I’m also investigating where we would stay those 4 nights of the chess tournament.  As of now it appears we can stay in a private room with bath in an apartment in Laureles for $40 a night or in a hostel in El Poblado for about $20 a night.

We left the finca at 11am and were surprised to see a truck on the sideroad next to Guillermo’s house unloading large bricks like the ones used to build the wall in Teresa’s kitchen.  I thought their noise might disguise our passage but no the dogs found us.  They weren’t aggressive at all and I gave each of them a dog biscuit.

We waited 15 minutes for a bus to Envigado.  As I was walking down the aisle to my seat a middle aged woman chose exactly that moment to pull out her “t-shirt” and check out her rather large boobs.  Lol.  It was a nice cool day and I was very comfortable with the temperature – but then I didn’t have to really walk a lot.  On our way up the hill at 11:55 I called Eddie and left a message on his voicemail.

It’s amazed me in the past how someone can open a “restaurant” by simply opening their garage door and setting up a grill.  Walking down a block to Carbón de Leña I saw an open door to a stairway that looked like it led to a 2nd level for an apartment.  At the entrance a man had set up a folding shelf and he had a large pot of tinto (strong coffee) that he was selling.  

After a side trip to an ATM we got to the restaurant by 12:10.  We waited for Eddie to show up and as agreed I called him, about every 10 minutes, always getting his voicemail.  Teresa was hungry so at 12:30 she ordered her lunch while I waited for Eddie.  A woman walked by with large buns and Teresa informed me that they were pillows.  I asked if she meant foam and she said yes.  At 1pm I was just about to order when I saw Eddie coming across the street.  I questioned him about his cell phone and discovered that not only was it in his backpack but since he has the same phone I do I found he had it set to mute.  I changed it to an outdoor setting.
Eddie was born in Bogota but moved to the US (New York and San Diego were mentioned) when he was about 20.  He has both Colombian and US citizenship and plans on staying about 6 months, has friends living near the Envigado metro station and is starting guitar lessons today.  Teresa invited him to come visit us at the finca to play chess with me.  The problem is that not only does he not play chess but he has no interest in learning.

After finishing her lunch and joining in the discussion for awhile (Eddie speaks English and Spanish fluently) Teresa left to go pay bills and buy our medications for the month.

Eddie gave me 11mil for lunch (we all had the special of the day for 10,500), we said goodbye, I paid for lunch and went to the restroom.  I went into the stall and found toilet paper but no toilet seat but I managed.
I walked across the street to the park and observed a few chess games.  (I saw 3 Hare Krishnas walk through the park with their hand cymbals, drums and very distinctive (lack of) clothing.)  I noticed one player seemed to be pretty strong and he was having an easy time defeating his opponent (who finally got mad and stormed off).  I asked to play and I grabbed the white pieces.  I was able to play my opening for the first few moves but then he surprised me with a move and had me cramped without having castled.  (The problem is now I can’t remember exactly what the move was; sigh.)  I managed to push back, in the middle game we exchanged rooks and queens but I had a passed pawn.  In the endgame, we each had both bishops, 4 pawns but I had a pawn on the 6th rank.  He got a passed pawn on the 5th rank and then he made a move and I missed something and he took my passed pawn.  I’ve noticed I’ve been making a similar mistake when playing against the computer.  I managed to check his king and take his extra rook pawn and I could have eventually taken his knight pawn but then again he might have mated me with his pawn and 2 bishops.  I offered him a draw and he accepted.  Teresa had already come back from her errands and was waiting nearby for a few minutes or I probably would have played on.
We walked over to Bancolombia and I got in line to pay my health insurance for the month.  While I was there Teresa stopped across the street at Exito where she bought some fab laundry detergent and returned my C batteries.  There was a fairly long line at the bank and it was moving slowly.  At the 40 minute mark the cashier put up a sign saying that she was temporarily closing.  One woman waiting behind me in line had a snit fit.  A woman came out of an office and had words with her.  They finally reopened the window 15 minutes later.  I paid my health insurance for December with no further trouble.

Teresa told me that Kokoriko has a sale on chicken on Tuesdays and Fridays so we headed that way.  In the middle of the park she changed her mind and said it was Frisby so we headed off in a slightly different direction.  In Frisby she talked to someone and started heading out so I guess it was “no sale”.  She asked me if I wanted to stop for juice or ice cream but by then I just wanted to get back to the finca before dark so I said no.

We took a taxi to the highway and after a 5 minute wait were on an express bus to the finca.  I sat next to a woman who, with her legs and arms, was taking up more than her share of the seat.  Halfway through the trip she finally settled down and took up just her fair space.

Back at the sideroad we saw Don Carlos waiting for a bus.

We got past the killer dogs undetected; a good thing too because I only have 2 dog biscuits remaining.  We got back to the finca by 5:30.

From my external hard drive I skipped American Beauty, having seen it recently, and watched American Flyers (6.3) instead.

I took 2 sleeping pills at 10:40 and went to bed at 11pm.

T-shirt of the day: Need new haters, the old ones are starting to like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment