Friday, December 25, 2015

Thursday, December 24th, 2015



I got up 3 times during the night, the last time about 5:30 and was awakened at 7am by the alarm.  Teresa informed me she didn’t sleep well last night so we went back to sleep.

We woke up again about 9am and Teresa called Walter and asked him to pick up dog food and bring it to the finca.

Teresa left for the sideroad at 12:15 and 5 minutes later Walter called.  I told him Teresa is walking up the hill.  That was the extent of my Spanish.  He kept calling back and finally I answered again and asked if Teresa was with him.  He replied that no he is in Caldas.  While still talking to him I grabbed a couple dog biscuits and headed up the hill.  I was a little surprised that the terriers followed me.  As I was passing Guilermo’s house the path was unusually quiet (no dogs).  I looked back and saw Guillermo come out of his house followed by Teresa and the killer dogs.  The latter came right up to me and I gave each of them a dog biscuit with the terriers standing not a foot away.  Tony almost grabbed the second dog biscuit before the boxweiler got it.  Today I almost managed to pet the black dog but I did briefly pet the boxweiler.  Walking back down the hill the fenced dog started barking and the two teams of dogs got a little aggressive with each other.  Guillermo had given Teresa some kind of large plant cutting and we walked back to the finca.

I’ve decided to do TripAdvisor reviews for the hotels and restaurants we visit on my brother and company’s trip this coming January/February.  The others can help me rate the places for my reviews.

About 1pm Walter showed up with a large bag of dog food and I paid him 60mil for it and the delivery.  We opened it up and gave each dog some food.  Unfortunately both Tony and Peter were eating their share inside the finca.  Tony ate his food so rapidly that he was done and then he wanted Peter’s food.  A fight ensued, and soon they were both bleeding with blood on the floor and on the legs of a couple chairs.  That was repeated at least twice before we got them both out of the finca.  Peter ran up the hill and Tony was right by his side waiting for Peter to look at him.  We have to get Tony fixed soon and if that doesn’t lessen his aggressiveness I think we’ll have to give him away or have him put down.  A few minutes later I found Peter on the side of the finca with blood all over his fur mostly by his face.  His eyes and tongue looked undamaged and I cleaned him up a bit with a piece of toilet paper Teresa gave me.

Teresa talked to a cousin and then asked me if we could visit her in Cisneros this December 30th.  I see by a map that Cisneros is 33 miles (as the crow flies) northeast of Medellin.  Teresa said all her aunts on her father’s side live there.  I reminded her I need to pay my health insurance but I don’t know if banks are open on January 1st, the 2nd is a Saturday (half day for banks), Sunday banks are closed, so we have to ask Natalia when she wants me to pay it.  On second thought I think Teresa wants to fix Tony first and then visit later in January.

I’m getting more insect bites today, maybe because Chucho cut the garden yesterday.

Teresa and I took a nap from about 4 to 5pm.

I finished reading a free Nook sample titled The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way, where author Bill Bryson states “The ways of dealing with matters of number, tense, case, gender, and the like are wondrously various from one tongue to the next.  A Welsh speaker must choose between five ways of saying than.  Finnish has fifteen case forms.  Imagine learning fifteen different ways of spelling cat, dog, house, and so on.  In English ride has just five forms (ride, rides, rode, riding, ridden); the same verb in German has sixteen.  In Russian, nouns can have up to twelve inflections and adjectives as many as sixteen."

"Sometimes languages fail to acquire what may seem to us quite basic terms.  The Romans had no word for gray.  Irish Gaelic possesses no equivalent of yes or no.  They must resort to roundabout expressions such as “I think not” and “This is so”.  Italians cannot distinguish between a niece and a granddaughter and a nephew and a grandson.  The Japanese have no definite or indefinite articles corresponding to the English a, an, or the, and they do not distinguish between singular and plural as we do with, say, ball/balls and child/children.  This may seem strange until you reflect that we don’t make a distinction with a lot of words – sheep, deer, trout, Swiss, scissors – and it scarcely every causes us trouble."

"But it is harder to make a case for the absence in Japanese of a future tense.  To them Tokyo e yukimasu means both “I go to Tokyo” and “I will go to Tokyo”.  To understand which sense is intended, you need to know the context.  This lack of explicitness is a feature of Japanese – even to the point that they seldom use personal pronouns like me, my, and yours.  Such words exist, but the Japanese employ them so sparingly that they might as well not have them.  Over half of all Japanese sentences have no subject.  They dislike giving a straightforward yes or no.  It is no wonder that they are so often called inscrutable.”

Bill Bryson also states  “…children in the first five years of life have such a remarkable facility for language that they can effortlessly learn two structurally different languages simultaneously – if, for instance, their mother is Chinese and their father American – without displaying the slightest signs of stress or confusion.”

I wanted to watch something different so I watched the 1934 German Nazi party film Triump des Willens (Triumph of the Will). 

When it got dark I went outside and moved the dog’s blankets onto the porch.  Luna started giving Peter a hard time – why, because he’s hurt? 
Then Peter started following Tony around like he’s taunting him.  At Teresa’s suggestion I put Peter in the shed out back by carrying him to it (I guess I didn’t touch any wounds) and then pretending to throw in a dog biscuit to get him to go inside.

The Colombian Peso has fallen to 3,173 to the dollar and has been there for awhile today so I’m guessing that’s the close for the holiday weekend.

Teresa mentioned us having dinner with Laura in Parque Lleras on December 31st but the question came up as to where we would stay for the night.  She mentioned the hostal across the street from Triada but I told her that a standard room with private bathroom there is $60 per night.

Teresa and I watched Unknown (6.9) on Netflix, a good action film that she enjoyed.

I took 2 sleeping pills at 11:05 and we went to bed at 11:30.

T-shirt of the day: All you need is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment