Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015



I fell asleep quickly only getting up once about 5:30.  Barking dogs kept me awake about another hour, finally waking/getting up at 9:10.

We left the finca at 12:50pm.  The killer dogs came out as we were going up the hill.  I gave each of them a dog biscuit but I’m running low on them.  We only had to wait a minute for a bus to Envigado.

We had the taxi stop at grandma’s so Teresa could drop off some clothes for Laura.  When we first got to Carbón de Leña all the tables were taken but we found Vicky’s daughter Laura there with a couple other ladies.  After we had the lunch of the day Teresa waited at the restaurant to have lunch with Laura and I went to the park to play chess.  First I stopped at Gana and added 50mil to my cell phone.

There are so many pigeons in the park there’s a real danger of getting pooped on.  I saw it happen to one man there – it hit him on his sleeve.  They have a large water fountain which is a perfect watering hole for the pigeons.  After waiting about 30 minutes I finally got to play the young man I had played before.  He won the first game with white, I won the 2nd game with white, and he won the 3rd game with white.  

Laura and Teresa arrived and I said hello and soon goodbye to her.  A few minutes later Teresa and I were on a bus to Santafe CC.  Teresa told me that Laura is very happy because she got tips from gringos of 40mil, 50mil, and 90mil.  

The mall was very busy and after waiting for Teresa in Forever 21 somehow she exchanged her blouse for some slacks without waiting in the long line I saw.

We stopped at Mezzalena Salad Bar where we each had a Coke and enjoyed sitting for a change.  I told her the crowds are worse in the States at Christmas time.  Teresa talked to Martha and I understand we will call her tomorrow to find out the status of my visa.

I finished reading the free Popular Mechanics on my Nook and found this good advice: “Wireless routers connect computers and an ever-growing list of vital home devices to the Internet and to each other, so when their signals get patchy it’s a nightmare.  …quick improvement… plug the router into a cheap electric timer set to briefly turn it off – effectively resetting it – every night while the house sleeps.”  Since Laura isn’t sleeping here anymore I’m the only one using the wifi so I’ll just turn it off at night and turn it back on in the morning.  I hope this helps me see my game next Sunday.

We had a slow bus ride back to Envigado, stopped at Gana and added 10mil to Laura’s cellphone, made a restroom stop at Exito for 600 pesos, and after a 10 minute wait were on a taxi down to the highway.

We tried unsuccessfully to get on a Tratam bus but soon decided to take a Fredonia even though we knew it would be stopping in Caldas.  The bus was full and we had to stand the whole way.  In Caldas a lady got on to collect fares and she asked people standing in the aisles to temporarily leave the bus.  We got off and Teresa walked a couple buildings down and up a couple floors and knocked on a door.  I guess she wanted the city tax bill but I guess they didn’t have it.  We managed to get back to the bus before it left.  When we got off at the sideroad there was a near full moon partially obscured by clouds.  Just barely enough light that we could see out way.  We got past Guillermo’s house undetected but further down the trail I heard the killer dogs come out and bark at us.  Too late for them.
We got back to the finca at 7:30.

I received an email from Colombia immigration that I have a 1pm appointment tomorrow to renew my visa.  I think that’s just routine – they don’t know I’m already in the process of renewing it through Martha.
I had some eye discomfort so I took an Excedrin with my evening Tamsulosin.

I took 3 sleeping pills at 10:30 and went to bed at 11pm.

T-shirt of the day: “I really need new clothes.”  Me every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment