Monday, December 7, 2015

Sunday, December 6th, 2015



I had trouble relaxing enough to get to sleep so after a few minutes I got up and took another sleeping pill.  I fell asleep quickly and didn’t wake until about 5am.  The alarm went off at 7am and Teresa again asked to get up at 8am.  I got up about 7:15 and she was up by the time I got out of the shower.  Btw, I’m still having trouble getting a decent temperature for a pleasant shower; our current shower head will probably have to be replaced shortly.

At 8am it was 60 degrees on the finca porch when I went out to trim my fingernails but perhaps because there was no breeze it didn’t really feel cold.  We left the finca at 8:55, got past Guillermo’s house undetected but as we walked up the hill I heard the German shepherd bark and next thing you know the boxweiler and the black dog were at my side.  No barking, no aggressiveness, just waiting for a dog biscuit.  I tried to give the black dog another rawhide chew but he wasn’t interested.  They each took a dog biscuit and let us continue on our way unmolested.

We tried calling Walter a number of times but always no answer.  We waited about 10 minutes for a bus to Caldas.

We walked to Merkepaisa, Teresa picked up fruits, vegetables, meat and other necessities to more than half fill a cart.  Outside we found a man named Armando that had a taxi (looked more like a private car to me) with a trunk large enough to accommodate our groceries.  He had no trouble getting up the side hill so I suspect he may have 4-wheel drive.  I got out and opened the barbed wire gate as usual and instead of waiting for me to get back in he drove down the hill with the killer dogs soon giving him a hard time.  When they saw me, they lost interest in the taxi and I gave each of them the last 2 dog treats I had bought at Carulla.  Guillermo came out and I gave him the last rawhide chew, that no one else seemed to want, for his large dog who started chewing on it right away.  Up close it didn’t look like a German shepherd but I don’t know what it was.

By the time I got down to the finca all the groceries had already been moved from the car to the porch of the finca.  We were back by 10:45 and I paid the driver 25mil.  Teresa told me she wants to use him instead of Walter from now on.  Now I have the phone numbers of 3 different taxi drivers in Caldas so I hope we’re covered.

About 11:15 we heard the killer dogs going crazy and then we saw 2-3 people coming down the path.  Teresa yelled to them as to what they wanted.  I understand they are Jehovah Witness and Teresa told them thank you but we aren’t interested.  Teresa said they talk too much so I guess she’s had experience with them before.

At 12:45 I logged into my Slingbox and after a little halting audio/video it cleared up and I had a great connection until 3:45 when I lost my internet connection completely.

I finished watching Angel Heart (7.3) then I skipped Angels & Demons because I’ve read the book and seen at least parts of the movie so many times so I started watching Anger Management (6.2) but it was too dumb.  I skipped Woody Allen movies Annie Hall, Another Woman, and Anything Else.  I’ve seen the ending of Apollo 13 (7.6) many times but the beginning and middle are hazy so I decided to watch it again,

I hadn’t been able to get an internet connection for 2 hours so I unplugged the router, reconnected it and then was able to get one.  

My Chicago Bears lost to the San Francisco 49ers 26-20 in overtime.  My son taped the game and is watching it so I’ll join him in the 4th quarter to watch the end of regulation and the overtime.

I checked the new US movie releases but there isn’t anything I want to see.  Interestingly, Ron Howard’s In the Heart of the Sea (7.6) is playing here but not until December 11th in the States.

While watching my son’s replay of the taped game I lost my connection again right after SF tied up the game 20-20 in regulation.  I lost it again twice more before seeing SF win it in overtime.  Optimist that I am, this should improve the Bears draft position from #17 to something higher in next year’s draft.

Tonight Laura works from 4pm to midnight and she has tomorrow off.
I took 2 sleeping pills at 10:45 and went to bed at 11:15.

T-shirt of the day: Graffiti change (sic) my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment