Friday, September 16, 2016

Thursday, September 15th, 2016

I left the apt after lunch and stopped in BanColombia to withdraw some cash.  After selecting a few options the machine displayed something like “Attention – Contact your bank for more details”.  I went to Citibank and had no trouble withdrawing some cash.  I went back to BanColombia where I waited 30 minutes in line (2 women at the cashier took 20 minutes to finish their business) to pay the quarterly tax bill on the finca.  I went in to Exito and picked up some things and waited another 10 minutes in line.

Back at the apt a guy from Direct TV was fixing our TV problem.  I was told that the extra HDMI ports in back don’t work and that I should disconnect the HDMI port I do use when there are storms.

I looked out the bedroom window and saw a kite high in the air.  It’s unbelievable how high they fly some kites here.

Laura’s acquaintance, Cesar Verez from EAFIT, stopped by about 6:30 to fix my computer.  He spoke very good but not perfect English.  He removed CC Cleaner and told me to use ADW Cleaner instead.  He removed my virus protection software and told me to use Avira instead.  I understand both of those are free software.  He ran Avira and it found 50 viruses which he removed.  He also did something to speed up my processing speed.  He told me he established a remote communication link with my computer so I guess if I have problems in the future he can fix it without stopping by.  (I’m not sure if that means he can access any of my information.)  He left a little over an hour later and charged me 50,000 pesos.  Tonight I was able to backup my files to my external hard drive for the first time in months.


T-shirt of the day: I’m home, take me drunk.

2 comments: