Thursday, September 1, 2016

Wednesday, August 31st, 2016



At the health club I did 12 minutes on the treadmill at speed 6.  I also recorded the weights I used on each machine.  For the first time it took me a little more than an hour to finish everything.

My son Jim got up at 2am to catch a 5am flight to Fort Lauderdale and on to Medellin.  He took a shuttle from the Rionegro airport to the hostel – Happy Buddha – near Parque Lleras.  I took a taxi to the hostel and he showed me his room and some areas of the hostel.  When it was time to leave there was a young lady, Emily, waiting for a taxi to Envigado also and she chose to share a taxi with us.  The taxi driver stopped a couple blocks from where she needed to be because he would have had to swing around a number of streets to get there so Jim and I walked her to her building.  From there it was about 10 blocks to my apt.  We showed Jim around the apt and then took a taxi to Contenedores Food Place in Envigado.  It’s on Avenida Las Vegas at Carrera 48 #26 Sur-87 and consists of 5 restaurants mainly constructed from old shipping containers.

We decided to eat at Villero, an Argentinian steakhouse.  I was ready for a good steak.  I ordered the Sterling medium well with a strawberry juice, Jim ordered the same with a Coke, Laura ordered chicken and a beer, and Teresa ordered the salmon and a strawberry juice.  This was the ladies first opportuntity to have a nice piece of beef and they order chicken and salmon?  A trip to the salad bar was included.  Jim informed us that both his friends – Sean & Jeff - are coming in about 9pm Friday night and he’s going to take the hostel shuttle to the airport to meet them.

They brought us a board with 4 tasty hot rolls and a small container of cheese.  Jim’s steak came first but it was much too rare so he sent it back.  My steak looked like it was cooked perfectly but I was surprised that it was so chewy.  Jim’s steak was the same.  So much for Argentinian beef!  The orders also included a potato of your choice like baked or French fries.  The total bill came to 175,050 or about ($60).

We quickly caught a taxi and had the ladies dropped off first at the apt.  Then we dropped Jim off at the hostel and had the taxi take me back to the apt.  I had an interesting conversation with the taxi driver who has relatives in Miami, Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois.

T-shirt of the day: My favorite age is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment