Thursday, September 29, 2016

Tuesday, September 27th, 2016

Just before lunch Mother Teresa arrived with Wilson who looked at a number of his mother’s documents.  They all asked me about a national id card for the US but I had to explain that we don’t have one.  Instead each person has a SS card, a state driver’s license if they drive and a passport if they want to travel abroad – but each of those 3 numbers are different.
Teresa took her mother to the doctor’s office for a 2:30 appointment.  Teresa believes her mother is in the early stages of alzheimer’s but she wasn’t able to see a doctor today because there were so many people waiting to have their blood pressure checked. 

I logged into the Cook County Elections website and read their directions.  Then, just for practice, I filled out the voting form.  I walked over to the internet café and the owner assigned me to a computer.  I completed the voting form but it wouldn’t print.  She moved me to a different computer and I filled it out for a 3rd time and this time it printed – 13 pages – besides the ballot there’s a Mail Voter Certificate, a Standard Oath and a mailing label.  Now I just have to mail it back to Chicago so it arrives before the end of November.

I paid 6,000 pesos and then walked over to the park.  After walking around looking at each of the games a man invited me to play.  He’s a strong player but I pretty easily won 2 games – 1 with black and 1 with white.  My lessons and practice on chess.com are paying off.  (I’ll know better after my games with Dario tomorrow.)  Walking down the closed off street across from the park I saw a woman making cotton candy from one of those machines; first time I’ve seen that here.  To celebrate my victories I stopped at the bakery and bought 2 churros – sugar donuts with arequipe inside.


T-shirt of the day: Follow your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment