Sunday, July 9, 2017

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Well, I think I slept pretty well last night, finally waking/getting up at 9am so I’m hoping my eyes won’t feel so tired today that I need a nap.

It’s a sunny day thus far and I’m hoping it’s not going to get too hot as I plan to go to Calle 50 for my monthly/bimonthly haircut.

So far I have no internet so I stirred the tanks (disconnected and reconnected the router) and was hoping that would work.  It finally worked the 2nd time I tried it.

I made arrangements to meet Alex for lunch after I got a haircut today.

I left the apt at 11am, waited 5 minutes for a bus, saw a lot of traffic down the street and decided to walk instead.  It was 10 minute walk to the metro and I didn’t see Herman working at his juice stand today.
Me - waiting for bus.

At the station I paid more attention to a sign that said that the J-K-L line metro cable cars are closed for maintenance for June and July.  I quickly caught a metro train and even got a seat.  I got off at San Antonio and transferred to the west line.  I got off at the Stadium station and walked to the chess league office.  They had 3 tournaments listed for August 3rd to August 7th: an over 2000 (expert), an under 2000 (amateur), and an under 14-years old.  My amateur tournament is listed as 7 rounds but they listed dates/times for 9 games.  Obviously it’s going to take a little more research on my part.  And the listed entry fee of 77mil sounds a little high.

I walked to The Town barbershop for my haircut.  Most of my haircuts take 20-30 minutes but of course today, when Alex was waiting for me, the guy took 45 minutes.  I paid 9,000 pesos ($3) for my haircut and walked the 4 blocks to the Floresta Station where Alex was waiting.  We walked to a small mall across from the stadium and we both had the menu of the day at one of the typical Colombian food places.  The meal included frijoles, white rice, salad, chicken breast, a slice of baked plantain, and a glass of blackberry juice for 9,500 pesos.  He gave me a small 5ml jar of Aceite de Cannabis which he says is good for going to sleep.  Just one drop under the tongue he said – we’ll see.

Alex wanted to buy a new pair of shoes so we walked a couple blocks away to El Diamonte mall.  He found a pair of bright red gym shoes for 170,000 pesos.  Outside I bought the DVDs The Zookeeper’s Wife and The Shack for 3,000 pesos each.  I bought the latter so Teresa and Laura could see it, forgetting that we saw it together a month ago.

We walked around the mall looking for a Qatar Airways t-shirt that Alex wanted.  We found it in a couple of expensive sport jerseys but he wanted it in a simpler t-shirt.  I even found a Chicago Bears jersey but the material was too warm for me. 

We left the mall and walked to the Estadio station where we said goodbye.  (It was 4pm and my right hip was getting tired from all the walking.)

At Envigado station I wanted to buy a kilo of strawberries but the guy told me he’s out.

I got off the bus at Parque Envigado and walked to a local Cosechas store where I bought a cold juice (mango, banana, and papaya) with ice cream for 7,800 pesos.

Laura informed me that there is only 198,000 pesos in her account to pay for the gym.  I showed her my receipt that proves that I deposited 200,000 pesos.  I told her she could put an extra 2,000 pesos in her account tonight or tomorrow if she thinks it’s important.  Teresa said not to worry, if there’s a problem she’ll take care of it on Monday.

The Colombian Peso closed for the week at 3,088 to the US Dollar.

Later in the evening I hooked up my laptop to the TV and we all watched The Zookeepers Wife (7.0).

If the weather is nice tomorrow Teresa wants to go to Santafe de Antioquia to work on her tan.

Teresa told me “I thought you were going to get a haircut today”!  What?  After 45 minutes in the barber’s chair and paying him 9,000 pesos, I hope he cut some hair off.   Lol.


T-shirt of the day: You can’t buy happiness but you can buy beer and that’s kind of the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment