Friday, March 29, 2019

Thursday, March 28, 2019


Probably because I knew I had to get up early I woke up several times during the night, finally waking at 6:30 and getting up at 6:45.  For breakfast I had a bowl of granola with a sliced banana.

I left the apt at 7:45 and a portero quickly called me a taxi.  I arrived at El Tesoro mall at 8:05 for 11,200 pesos.  Since I had some time to kill I walked around the mall checking which ATMs they have: Bancolombia, BBVA, Scotia Colpatria, and ATH Banco de Bogota.

I arrived at Dr. Rendon’s office at 8:25 and he was already with a patient.  He informed me that he plays squash as 5am and opens the office at 7am.  Wow!  He cleaned my teeth for 165,000 pesos ($53).  I mentioned my cold and he said lots of people have colds from the pollution in Medellin.

I quickly caught a taxi back to the apt for 15mil arriving at 10am just in time to catch a little of the Today show.

Teresa came back at 11am.

I left the apt at 11:45 and walked a block to the bus stop.  It arrived after a 10 minute wait.  I took the metro to the Exposiciones station and a taxi to Unicentro mall.  In the food court I had a spring salad with chicken and a small Pepsi.  Rory arrived right a couple minutes after I had finished.

In our first game I made some mistakes and he was soon up 2 pawns and I couldn’t castle.  I held on and beat him in the endgame.  I showed him a game that Jose and I had played last Tuesday.  In the second game I beat him quite easily.

He left, I packed up and retraced my steps back to the apt.  Teresa informed me that the mother of her friend from the gym passed away and she hoped to be able to go to their mass tonight.

Teresa and I left the apt at 6:10 for my 6:40 appointment at Nueve eps.  I paid 3,200 pesos and there was a 10 minute wait.  The doctor, a woman, checked my weight (80 kilos) and height and gave me a digital exam of my prostate.  She signed a form that will allow me to get a blood draw next Monday.  Teresa asked for 6:09am.  She explained to me that after my blood draw she will go next door to the gym and I can go to Carbon de Leña for breakfast.

We walked almost to our old apt and Teresa went to the mass and I went to La Casita Parilla.  I had a Coke while waiting for her.  There was a soccer game between Medellin and some other team and 3 middle aged guys were watching the game.  It was 1-1 when Medellin scored and one of the guys was so happy he jumped up and walked outside for a minute.  It was still 2-1 after the 90 minute regulation and 10 seconds left to the 5 minute overage the other team scored making it 2-2.  The guy looked deflated.

Teresa returned and we shared a chicken shish kebab.

We walked back to the apt and we were both so tired from getting up early that we soon went to bed.

7,411 steps today.

Joke of the day
During a visit to the local mental institute, John asked the Director during a tour how to determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.
"It's simple actually," said the Director. "We fill up a bathtub, then we offer a Teaspoon, a Teacup and a Bucket to the patient. We ask him or her to empty the bathtub."
"Ohhhh, I understand.  Obviously a normal person would choose the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup."
"No. A normal person would pull the plug and let it drain. Do you want a bed near the window?"

No comments:

Post a Comment