Monday, July 1, 2019

Sunday, June 30, 2019


I slept through the night only waking briefly at 6am finally waking/getting up at 7:30.  Nice!

I took half an Excedrin and left the apt at 8:45.  I arrived in Oviedo at 9:30.  My plan was if the stores open at 10am then I would have coffee at Starbucks then check out a few of the mattress stores.  I was pretty sure though that Sundays and holidays they don’t open until 11am.  There wasn’t anyone yet at the information booth so I went to the stores and at least a couple had signs saying they open at 11am.

When I arrived at Starbucks I was surprised to see they hadn’t opened yet.

I walked to the main Starbucks and had my usual coffee while playing a game of chess on my cellphone.

By the time I was finished it was 10 minutes to 11 so I decided to return to Oviedo.  I stopped first at the book exchange where I found John Grisham’s The Client.  I know I’ve seen the movie but I was hoping I hadn’t read the book.  (I hadn’t.)

A few of the mattesss stores were open and despite my lack of Spanish I got the following quotes on queen sized mattresses (without the base): Rambler 1,440,000; Comodisimos 2,060,260 or 1,647,960 for less height; Euro Mattress 4,193,000.  The guy at Comodisimos stated that in Colombia they only sell memory foam mattresses.  Of course, the Euro Mattress looked the best.  (Divide each of those by about 3,200 to get the price in dollars.)
I walked back to the apt arriving right at noon.

I left the apt at 12:50 and met Chuck at the mall at 1pm.  We chatted for a few minutes then went upstairs where we had burgers and fries at Best Burger.

We went up to the 4th floor and walked around checking out the (empty) soccer and volleyball courts.

We went down to the 2nd floor and I gave him a tour of Cine Colombia and the Platinum Room.  He said his friends back in Louisiana wouldn’t believe how new and fancy it is.

We went up to the 3rd floor to Café Arangos where we each ordered coffee and a slice of carrot cake.  He asked the waitress to make sure his slice is bigger than mine.  I asked her who she loves more – me or him.  She got a good chuckle out of our antics.  Btw, I think my slice was slightly larger.

Chuck confided in me that Darnelly wants to see the finca but he is afraid that she will love it and want to buy it for use on weekends and holidays.

We left about 4:15 and I returned to the apt.

Teresa returned at 7pm and she told me she was starving and wanted to go to some specific place in La Buena Mesa but I didn’t understand where.  I dressed and followed her and she led me to Barbacoa.  She ordered fish and I a classic burger without cheese or bacon and “papas cascos” which turned out to be long cuts of rustic fries.

The total came to 71mil including tip and tax and I rounded it up to 80mil so the waiter got a real nice tip.

On the way back to the apt I reminded Teresa that I’m going to the gym tomorrow and then to Bancolombia to pay bills.  She reminded me that tomorrow is a holiday and the bank will be closed.  What was I thinking?  Now it looks like I’ll be going to the bank after I finish playing chess with Jose on Tuesday.

I see that the US Men’s team defeated Curacao 1-0.

I finished reading John Grisham’s Rogue Lawyer on my Nook.

17,983 steps today.

Joke of the day
A man was taking his wife, who was pregnant with twins, to the hospital when - in his excitement - his car went out of control and crashed into an oak tree.
Upon regaining consciousness, he saw his brother, a relentless world-class practical joker, sitting at his bedside with the warm grin he'd known since childhood.
He asked his brother how his wife was, and his brother replied:
"Don't worry, everybody is fine and you have a son and a daughter. But the hospital was in a real hurry to get the birth certificates filed and since both you and your wife were unconscious, I named them for you."
The husband was thinking to himself: "Oh no, what has he done now?"
And he said with trepidation: "Well what did you name them?"
The brother replied: "I named the little girl Denise."
The husband, relieved, said: "That's a very pretty name! What did you come up with for my son?"
"Denephew," the brother replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment