Thursday, July 17, 2014

Thursday, July 17th, 2014



Last night I went to bed at 11pm, got up once during the night, woke up at 6am and got up at 6:45.

I stopped at Redd’s and had an orange juice then walked down to LM but, at 8:10am, chairs and tables were just being set up and the usual breakfast restaurants were still closed so I walked over to Los Mejores and had my usual coffee and croissant.  While I was sitting there a taxi pulled up at the house next door and the 2 old ladies I had seen before waved to me.  One of them got out and opened the door to the house while the taxi driver got a 10 gallon tub of paint out of the trunk and carried it upstairs.  Then they all left in the taxi; but not after lots of smiles and waves to the gringo.  (I forgot to mention I ran into them at Viva food court yesterday so if you’re interested go back and read the 3rd paragraph of yesterday’s posting.)

I stopped at the corner store for a little study then went to Exito.  Walking in I was surprised to see a display of Oreo cookies in the toy department.  It turns out there is some type of Transformer toy promotion on the package.  Still, it’s a strange place in the store to be selling cookies.

After my Spanish lesson I went back to my apartment and had a bowl of granola for lunch.

So far I’ve read 8 of the Jack Ryan series of books written by Tom Clancy.  I read the 1st 15 pages of The Teeth of the Tiger and the writing style is so different I can’t believe he really wrote it.  He died “of an undisclosed illness” on October 1st, 2013.  His last novel Command Authority with Mark Greaney was published on December 3, 2013 and his last book Support and Defend was published on July 22, 2014.  In doing a little internet searching someone believes he hadn’t written a novel in 10 years.  That would take us back to about 2003; The Teeth of the Tiger was published on August 1, 2003.  I’m not interested in reading any books by a ghost writer so that doesn’t leave me many choices.  I’ll have to do a little more research to see if he still has something he wrote that’s worth reading.

Dario came over just before 2pm and we played 1 game for over 2 ¾ hours.  I hadn’t played nor studied chess in 2 months (when I won the chess trophy) so I was interested in seeing how I would do.  I got the white pieces but he quickly gave me trouble and I got down a rook and a pawn.  I tried to create problems for him and exposed his king but he always seemed to find a way out and I lost my first game to him in the last 11 tries.

For dinner I just had another bowl of granola.

T-shirt of the day: I survived sharking.

No comments:

Post a Comment