Sunday, November 19, 2017

Saturday, November 18, 2017

As usual I fell asleep quickly, got up once or twice during the night, fell back asleep quickly, woke up at 6:30 and got up at 7:30.

I think it rained most of the night.

Our 3rd plan for today was that I would leave the apt at 9am and by 3 Frischuletas and Pepsis at Frisby.  Then we would have them for lunch with Alex at the finca.

As I was lying there in bed it occurred to me that Frisby doesn’t server breakfast so they probably don’t open until 11am or 11:30.  I shared that with Teresa and she said that the muchacho working on the finca can go to Caldas and buy food for everyone (plan #4).
She talked to him about an hour later and reported that he has to leave about 1pm because he has something he has to take care of in Medellin.

Teresa finally came up with the idea that we would have lunch in El Rancherito which is just a short walk from the finca (plan #5).

About 9:45 I went downstairs and waited for Alex who showed up a few minutes later by taxi.

He said he’s lost about 20 pounds and was noticeably slimmer.
Upstairs I introduced him to Laura for the first time and showed him around the apartment.

Outside we quickly caught a taxi that took us all the way to the highway down the hill from the finca.  On the way we drove over the new bridge and went through the new tunnel.

We walked up and down the hill to the finca.  Not a dog in sight.  I understand Guillermo’s place is still unoccupied.

When we got to the finca I learned that the reason Alex had a hefty backpack with him is that he thought we were going to stay overnight.

Teresa unlocked the place, the muchacho soon arrived and he started working.   For example, I noticed him filling holes before we start the repainting.

Alex looked around and said he really liked the place.  I told him he could buy it for 300 million pesos (about $100,000).

At one point I led Alex down a path but I kept hitting cobwebs.  (I hope I didn’t get bitten by any of the few spiders I saw.)  After going down a bit I couldn’t see where the trail continued so we turned back.

I went another way that I’ve used before but I kept slipping on what looked like wet grass but ended up just gouging out mud on the side of the hill.  We eventually got down close to the bottom and we could hear the stream nearby.  By this time Alex had taken the lead and he headed a different direction than I intended.  There was a drop off next to me and I stepped 3-4 inches away from the edge when it gave way and my body weight with me being off balance carried me down the hill.  I ended up with my head about 6 feet below the ground level where I had started.  Looking down I couldn’t see any way to continue so I knew I had to get back up.  I was next to a small tree but most of the branches I grabbed were rotten and just gave way.  I saw a black tube maybe an inch in diameter poking out of the ground and by using that and the tree I managed to get myself up closer until Alex came with a tree branch and helped me get up and roll onto the edge. 

We still had to work our way up the slippery hill but by the time we got to the top my shoes, jeans, and arms were filthy.  Alex wasn’t much better and we washed off using the outside hose.

The muchacho left about 12:15 and we left soon after.

Down at the highway we walked about 20 minutes to El Rancherito where we had lunch.  Alex and I had a large slab of ribs and Teresa had their mixed seafood plate.  It rained on and off for the hour or so that we were there.  We all had tiramisu for dessert.

Across the street we waited about 10 minutes for a bus back to Envigado.  I timed the trip from the road to the finca back to the Envigado station and it was about 25 minutes.

We took a taxi from there back to the apt.

Alex and I walked to the park and I pointed out some things on the way.  At the park they were just starting to play some music so we moved to the bakery across the street.  He had a vanilla ice cream cone with raisins and I had a cafĂ© con leche.  He said he really liked the atmosphere of the area.

Back at the apt he picked up his things and after a 5 minute wait across the street he was in a taxi back to his place.

Someone has moved into one of the 2 apartments that were for rent across the street.

At 10:15 it started raining again and it continued for most of the night.  I went to bed at 10:45.


T-shirt of the day: Today is just yesterday’s tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment