Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday, October 14th, 2013



Last night I was at Beatriz house at 6:30 and just before 7pm she and Maria and I left for Los Molinos.  We met her son and Maria’s boyfriend there and bought our tickets – 15mil for 15 minutes.  There was about a 15 minute wait and unfortunately we were first in line which meant we were the first to put our jackets and gloves on and then we had to wait for all the others to do the same.

Once inside I quickly discovered the snow was very dry so it was impossible to make snow balls but that didn’t stop anyone from just throwing snow into someone else’s face.  They had photographers inside and Maria told me later the photos will be posted on their website.

Afterwards we went downstairs and I treated everyone to ice cream cones at Mimo’s for 19,300 ($10.16).  While Mimo’s has regular ice cream they are mainly known for their soft serve.  I had a soft serve dipped in chocolate, 2 others had soft serve dipped in chocolate with crispies (puffed rice, I think), and the other 2 had soft serve dipped in chocolate with crispies and peanuts.  Of course Felipe had to question me on why I don’t like crispies in my chocolate.    Felipe did mention I could buy an American football at the Stadium.  I’ll have to check that out.  I asked Beatriz if she would like to see Gravity with me on Wednesday and she said “no”.  Surprise!

I went to bed at 11pm and was awakened once at 3am by a hard rain.  I finally woke/got up at 7am.  

Happy Columbus Day everyone.  It’s a holiday here too, but I don’t know what or why.

The rain finally tapered off but we’re only supposed to have a high today of 77 degrees with a 60% chance of rain.  I love it!

After being off for a week, today I resumed my M/W/F morning workout.
I sent Bob a Viber text message that I was going to have breakfast at the bakery and then head to Exito.  On my way to the bakery a car pulled up, the driver put the passenger window down and a young woman said something to me in Spanish.  (You know the routine!)  Because it’s so overcast, for the first time I was able to see into the side room of the bakery where they make all the pastries.  

The times I have visited Almibar (ice cream) at LM and ordered something I’m pretty sure they have offered me a number of topping options but of course I never understood what they were.  I noticed yesterday when I had dinner at Viva that MimoYogurt has all their toppings on display with signs on them so I decided today I would write down the names (in Spanish of course) and translate them later.  

I was at Viva just after 9am when they opened (holiday hours) but MimoYogurt was still closed.  I bought a small bottle (930 cm3) of Clorox bleach for 4,020 ($2.12) and because I needed change for my big bills I gave her a 50mil bill.  I guess it’s too early in the morning for giving so much change back and she had to take it somewhere else in the store.  While waiting I struck up a conversation with the young teller at the next register who wasn’t busy at the moment.  (I’m beginning to get the feeling you can strike up a conversation with any woman here and she would be happy to talk to you.)  :)

When I got back to the apartment I got a Viber message from Bob telling me that he’s meeting his new love, Patricia, for breakfast at 10am.  He won’t tell me where because he doesn’t want to take the chance that she’ll like me better than him, seeing as I don’t drink or smoke (and I look younger).  Jhon actually recommended that!  Lol.  Well, he only has one week to “bond” with her because we’re all meeting Sunday at Sport Wings to celebrate our 9th anniversary in Medellin and watch our respective football teams in action.
 
I checked the theaters again and Gravity is playing today at:
Los Molinos at 3:50 & 6:20 (3D) (other times are 2D)
Mayorca at 4:40, 6:50 & 9:10pm (all 3D)
Monterrey at 5pm & 7:15pm (all 3D)
Oviedo at 6:50pm (3D)
Unicentro at 5:10 & 7:10pm (all 3D)

The family across the street had a small to medium sized black dog but now I see they have a black puppy.  I wonder if they had to put the other dog down.   :(

It’s 12:30, it’s only 70 degrees here and I’m putting on a long sleeved shirt for the first time during the day that I can remember!

Walking through Viva Mall I passed 2 guards with shotguns with another man between them, carrying a big bag, with his revolver out and ready.  The revolver looks so big it almost doesn’t look real.  They are probably there to refill the ATM machines.  At MimoYougurt I copied down the Spanish names for their toppings and, since they didn’t have any customers at that moment, a young lady helped me with identify a couple that didn’t have any signs.  

Lunch was a large hotdog, large Pepsi and small bag of potato chips at Dogger’s for 11,300 ($5.95).  While I was sitting eating my lunch (and reading my Nook book) they came down and refilled one of the Cajera ATM machines.

About 1:40 I left for Dario’s for the last day of the chess tournament.  I was approaching the Tinto store and who did I see but Bob sitting with a woman I hadn’t seen before.  Yes, it was Patricia.  Bob tells me she’s about 5’5” but I couldn’t tell with her sitting down.  She is pretty, though, with reddish brown hair and she’s very expressive facially.  I talked with them for 10-15 minutes and then I had to leave.  She said she has 3 sisters – I know one of them works/owns the Tinto store but she’s married and she’s not my type anyway.  I told Bob as I left that if he didn’t find gold, he at least had found silver.

At Dario’s as they were finishing their games, Dario set up a simultaneous exhibition whereby at one time I was playing 7 games at once.  I one of them I forgot my next move and lost my queen.  After winning 6 of the games I was able to sit down and concentrate on the one game where I was up a couple of pawns with a bishop, knight and rook against his queen.  Eventually I was able to trade my rook and bishop for his queen and then I won in the endgame by queening a pawn and checkmating him.  That was a lot of fun.  It’s been many years since I’d had the opportunity to do something like that.  I was surprised at how quickly I could recall what I wanted to do as I went to each board.

I walked past the corner store on my way back to my apartment but no Bob.

Beatriz is coming over at 7pm so we’ll probably go for ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment