Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday, October 20th, 2013

Yesterday afternoon I tried to use the http://www.wiziwig.tv/  website to watch my Northern Illinois University Huskies on live TV but all I got was play by play text descriptions.  Anyway, they beat the Central Michigan Chippewas 38-17.

At 4:55 I started making my waffle, ate it, made popcorn, changed clothes and didn’t leave until about 5:35. 

I met Bob at the corner store and we ate popcorn and watched A/N beat O. Caldas 1-0. 

I ran into Jhon as I was leaving the store and he told me the pharmacy the mystery woman works at is at the intersection of the street the corner store is on and Avenida 84.  I think I’ll check that out tomorrow morning and get a better idea of where it is relative to the juice store and my apartment.

Back at the apartment I washed dishes, watched Episode 4 of Sleeper Cell and continued reading my book.  I have less than 100 pages to go.

I went to bed at 10:45 and was awakened just before 12:30 by laughter downstairs from Lionel and the same woman I’ve heard before.  They finally quieted down about 30 minutes later and I was able to get back to sleep.  I woke up at 5:30 to use the bathroom and finally woke/got up at 7:25.

This morning I received an interesting article from my son that Starbucks plans to open stores in Colombia – the land of Juan Valdez.

At 8:30 I was at the bakery by Bob’s hostel having a café con leche and croissant for 1,600 (84 cents).  The coffee was so hot I was burning my fingers carrying it to my table 6 feet away.  The croissant was heated at my request but it still isn’t as good as the ones at the bakery on Carrera 35.  I noticed a sign identifying the juices they sell there:

Mango – we know what this is

Mora – blackberry juice

Guanábana - aka Soursop, is the fruit of the Annona muricata, a broadleef, flowering, evergreen tree native to Colombia.  The flavor has been described as a combination of strawberry and pineapple.

Mandarina - orange

Lulu – Naranjilla is a popular fruit in Colombia where it is known as lulu. Colombians mix the strained fruit juice with condensed milk and call it “sorbete de lulu.” The fruit is about the size of a small orange, the color of an orange and grows on a bush similar to a tomato plant. Its thin, smooth skin peels easily, much like removing the skin from a ripe tomato that has been dipped in hot water.

Now I can look them up and get a better idea of what they are and later learn which ones I like.

Later, while researching the above I found this:

Aguardiente is an alcoholic drink derived from sugarcane. It is widely consumed at Colombian parties, and ranges in potency from 20% to 40%.

I decided after I finished my coffee and croissant I would ask the young lady behind the counter what they call one of the pastries but at 8:45 church got out and a crowd started gravitating toward the bakery.  I decided not to hog the table so I left as soon as I finished my food.

Walking west I discovered the street ends a block before Carrera 84 so Jhon isn’t right about that street.  I walked a block south to Calle 37B and then turned right and walked a block to Carrera 84.  Across the street is the small Farmacia Donoto that Bob and I stopped at briefly yesterday.  This must be the one Jhon is referring to.  I noted their hours are Monday thru Friday 8:30am to 9pm and Sundays & Holidays 8:30 am to 8pm.  What, they’re closed on Saturdays?  I think that’s probably a mistake.  I guess I’ll have to be there before 8:30am to see who reports to work.  Walking down the street I couldn’t find the juice store I mentioned yesterday so I guess I’ll have to hang out at the pharmacy itself.

The lesson that gave me difficulty yesterday was when they would say “El juguete está al lado de su pie derecho” and I would have to write it down perfectly.  It means “His toy is next to his right foot”.

I see the family across the street is going somewhere and this is the first time I’ve seen the puppy and the older dog together.  It’s good to see he’s okay.

I ordered a toothpick holder and sleep mask from Amazon and had them sent to my brother’s house to bring when he visits me next year.

I met Bob & Patricia at Sport Wings at noon.  His friends John and Pablo and their girlfriends joined us.  While I watched my Chicago Bears lose to the Washington Redskins 45-41 I had a ½ pound Classic Burger and 3 cokes for a total of 32,352 ($17.03).  They mistakenly put David’s girlfriend’s bottle of water on my bill (2,900) but David gave me 3mil so the waiter didn’t have to change the bills.  I really like Patricia but Bob warned her I really like her but she said she’s okay with that.  Sigh!  “Timing is everything” strikes again!

Afterwards I went across the street to use one of my bottle caps for a free ice cream cone.  It was really packed, maybe exactly because of their promotion.  Since I’m not really in a hurry for anything I waited in line for 10 minutes for a vanilla/chocolate mixed cone.  It was so liquidy it fell off the cone before I got out of the parking lot.

Back at the apartment I logged into USTVNOW so I can watch the Denver Broncos play against the Indianapolis Colts tonight at 8:15 on NBC.

I think I’ll go over to the San Juan bakery and have a coffee and sugar donut for my dinner.  Then I can take my medicine 30 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment