Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday, October 9th, 2013



Last night there was some uncertainly as to whether the A/N game was to start at 6:30 (per Bob) or 8:10 (per me).  While I was having my dinner at Viva Mall they didn’t have the game on so I was pretty sure it wasn’t a 6:30 start time.

I got to the corner store at 8:10 and found they were already at the 20 minute mark and ahead 2-0.  I don’t like to use the services (only a chair in this case) of an establishment without buying something so I bought a small coke for 1mil.  I took the bottle out of the refrigerator and put it on the counter with my bill like always.  When the owner opened it she said something about McDonald’s and handed me the bottle cap which said, in Spanish, “discount 5mil for your McCombo”.  So I guess I’ll be making a trip to McDonald’s in the near future.

I stayed for the game but the score didn’t change.  I didn’t see Bob or anyone else I know but it was still fun to watch the game and watch the pretty senoras and senoritas walk by.

Since I got home a little earlier than usual I watched episode 2 of Sleeper Cell.

I went to bed at 11:15, woke up once during the night and finally woke/got up at 7am.

I caught the Circular 302 bus at 7:50 and arrived at Calle 10, across from Monterey C.C., at 8:20.  I waited about 5 minutes for a Poblado bus and 2 came one right behind the other and they were packed with people so I decided to walk.

Bob told me about a place on Calle 10 that is supposed to have the best empanadas and I wonder if it’s Ricur As de La 10 that I passed by.
I got to the Flip Flop Sandwich Shop at 8:45 and had the Animal (eggs, bacon, and French toast) for 10mil plus whatever it costs for 2 cups of coffee.  I had plenty of time for my breakfast and to ask Chris where to find the Office Depot.

I left at 9:30 and arrived at the Dentist’s office at 9:50.  After about a 15 minute wait I was in the dentist’s chair.  I told him an Amish joke and then he inspected my teeth.  He recommended I take care of both crowns at one time.  I told him that was ok with me but I would have to make payments over several months on the 2nd crown.  He was ok with that.  Today he only prepared my teeth for the crowns because we need a 90 minute first appointment.  My next appointment is this Friday morning, October 11th at 10:20am.

Before I left I also confirmed with him where the Office Depot is.  When I left his building I found it was no more than a small block away on the same side of the street.  It’s an Office Depot Express which I’m learning “Express” means it’s a smaller than usual store.  While there I bought a large plastic folder/carrying case for 15,500 to hold folders I bought from the States.  The original folder was from paper/cardboard only a little thicker than an index card and it’s coming apart at the corners spilling any small contents that might be inside.  I also bought a pair of earbuds for 16,900 so I don’t have to use the old pair of bulky headphones if I want to listen to something on my iPad.

I had lunch – a chicken sandwich – back at FFSS for 10mil plus a Coke for 2mil..  I asked Chris if he knew where I could get a haircut from someone who spoke English and he said “no”.

I stopped at Mail Boxes, Etc. in El Poblado at Carrera 43A #7D-59 www.mbelatam.com to inquire about box rentals.  Luckily there happened to be an Orthodontist there who could translate for me.  It costs $14 a month as long as the “package” is less than 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) and they are flexible as far as payments: wire transfer, cash, or cash several months in advance.  Maybe best for me would to be to stop in every month to pick up my mail and make the next month’s payment.  But first I want to resolve my current issue with my chess book.

I caught the Circular 303 bus at 12:45 and was back at Exito at 1:15.
Bob texted me he was going to the corner store for a drink so I met him there at 3pm and we chatted for a couple hours.  He said he would join me tomorrow morning at 10am on an excursion to the post office to check on my book.  While we were there Dario walked by and I introduced him to Bob and told him in general where my apartment was.  He invited me to see the tournament which begins tomorrow and I accepted.  Bob told me Ricur As de La 10 is not the correct Empanadas store.  This place is before that – coming from the bus – and much smaller.

I checked tonight’s movie and found it had moved from 7:30 to 6:45 so I’ll be meeting Beatriz at her office at 6pm and then we’ll take a taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment