Saturday, October 12, 2013

Saturday, October 12th, 2013



I forgot to mention that yesterday while I was at FFSS, I saw an advertisement on their bulletin board for a free walking tour of Medellin at www.RealCityTours.com.  (I also left my travel toothbrush in their bathroom.  I hate when I do absent minded things like that!)

Last night Beatriz came over and using a 2 for 1 coupon I had, we each had a Banana Royal (ice cream) at Mimo’s for a total of 9,200 ($4.84).  (Because of my dental work I really didn’t have any lunch or dinner yesterday.)  I also bought a bottle of wine called Gato Negro (Black Cat) at Exito for 25,050 ($13.18) to give to William and Miriam as a thank you for sharing their finca with me last weekend.

I went to bed at midnight and slept through the night.  But I woke up at 6am with a fuzzy feeling in my eyes.  I got up and put in some eye drops, took 2 Excedrin Migraine and went back to bed.  I felt better within a few minutes but wasn’t able to get back to sleep, finally getting up at 7am.

Here is what I found on the Internet this morning in regards to Colombia qualifying for the World Cup (translation courtesy of Google Translate):
Colombia rallied three goals in the second half, drew 3-3 with Chile and qualified on Friday for the World Cup 2014.

In a thrilling encounter, Colombia gave back to the three goals that Chileans embedded in the first half with a pair of penalty goals from Radamel Falcao, and one of Teofilo Gutierrez. Alexis Sanchez had doubled and Arturo Vidal scored the other target of the Red.

Colombia retained the second place in the World Cup qualifiers with 27 points, enough to secure one of the four direct tickets to Brazil, where they will play the fifth World history and first since France 1998. Argentina, leader of the tie, is now the other quota.

Chile dropped from third to fourth in the tie, and direct qualification will be played on Tuesday against Ecuador last date. Colombia closes against Paraguay eliminated.

I decided today to print the last few pages of jokes I have for Bob and a few pages of a math lesson I talked to Maria about last weekend at the finca.  I copied them to a flash drive to have printed at the Internet Café.

At 8am I was sitting in the bakery on San Juan (Calle 44) having a sugar donut with arequipe and a café con leche.  A couple minutes later the waitress hands me a piece of paper that looked like a bill.  She didn’t know I had already paid the man working there until he said something to her a few seconds later.  As I was finishing my donut I felt arms around me and I hear a “buenos dias”.  Of course it was Beatriz.  She sat with me for a couple minutes and she had the same kind of donut I had just finished.  She also bought a couple other pastries for her mother and daughter.  I saw a sign in the bakery “servicios 24 horas” and Beatriz confirmed that it’s open 24 hours a day.  She couldn’t stay long because she had to go to work so we said goodbye and I headed across the street but the Internet Café hadn’t opened yet so I walked with Beatriz as far as my apartment and then thanked her for having breakfast with me.  Lol.

I checked the new movies released in the US and I want to see Captain Phillips (IMDB 7.7) which stars my favorite actor Tom Hanks.  It will probably come out next week.  I checked this week’s new movies opening in Medellin and Gravity is playing today at
Los Molinos at 11:50am
Mayorca at 6:50 & 9:10pm
Monterrey at 7:15pm
Oviedo at 1:30pm (3D)
Unicentro at 11am
I’ll recheck the movie times again early next week.

My mouse is acting goofy.  I just changed the battery a couple days ago so maybe it was old or defective.

I got an email from magicJack that my brother left me a message.  He told me that my alma mater, the NIU (Northern Illinois University) Huskies are playing the Akron Zips at 4pm today on ESPN3.com.  I did some Googling and found another mention of only ESPN3 so if I’m not going to the Alaska exhibit with Beatriz today I’ll probably go to Sport Wings for dinner from 4-6:30 and watch my #23 ranked Huskies play Akron.  I also noticed they have another game on TV on November 2nd against Eastern Michigan at 2:30 on ESPN3 so I added it to my iPad.

Lunch was a 15cm (6”) turkey breast sandwich and 16 oz. Coke from Subway for 9,900 ($5.21).  I did a real good job today of ordering.  They switched me to a worker who spoke English but I was way ahead of him on ordering and the only thing he had to say in English was “do you want that with ice”, probably because I usually order from them at night when I usually don’t have soda.  I’ve finally gotten used to hearing “algo mas” – “anything more” at the end of the ordering process but I still often forget to mention at certain stores that it’s for here instead of “to go”.

Before lunch I paid my utility & communication bills in Exito and after lunch I bought my monthly supply of Tamsulosin (Winthrop Co.) medication for 40,500 ($21.32).

My communications bill was exactly the same as last month - 104,943.  But my utility bill was 99,683 compared to 106,229 last month – down almost 7%; each of the itemized entries was down a little.

1:30pm and I can hear thunder but no lightning and no rain.

I finished the last lesson for Rosetta Stone Level 1 – Level 1, Unit 4 Shopping and started the first lesson for Rosetta Stone Level 2.
At 3pm Beatriz stopped by to tell me:

Spanish: “miriam y william nos invitaron a ir de paseo a rionegro para volver hoy mismo y a san antonio de pereira ,son pueblos de medellin parecidos a san jeronimo”
 
Google translation to English: miriam and william invited us to go for a walk to rionegro to return today and san antonio pereira medellin are towns like St. jeronimo.

What I understand is we are going for a walk in Rionegro (just the other side of the airport; maybe 45 minutes).  We will return tonight.  San Antionio & Pereira are small towns like the one we visited – San Jeronimo.

Also going with us is Beatriz’ daughter, boyfriend and son and I should be at her house at 4:40pm.  She says San Antonio sells the best desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment