Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013



I went to bed at 11pm but had great difficulty getting to sleep.  Is that because: I had a Pepsi with my dinner; I forgot to take my medicine until just before I went to bed; or I couldn’t stop thinking about the “mystery woman”?  It rained for most of the evening which didn’t seem to help things much.  The last time I looked at my watch it was 1:10am so my best guess is I finally got sleep about 2am.  I woke/got up at 7:45 and took a hot shower (YEAH).  I walked up to Carrera 84 and walked down to Calle 35 and down to the bakery where I had my usual café con leche and croissant.  (On my way I passed a small restaurant where they advertise breakfast and lunch for only 2,900 pesos ($1.53).  Jhon told me later it probably doesn’t include any meat.)

I basically retraced my steps on my way back but then cut down the street that Bob’s hostel is on and found him sitting out on the front steps.  He was checking his tablet while I read some more in my Nook.  I asked him again how much he pays for the hostel and he said $10 a day.  When he was ready for his breakfast we went across the street to his bakery, which I found out is named Fresco Pan, where he had his usual – coffee and a ham and cheese pastry.  Bob told me that Sunday night he and Patricia “bonded”, if you know what I mean, so I told him he can relax, she’s obviously made her choice and I’m out of it.  A man Bob knows from the Tinto store stopped by and told him they are having a surprise birthday party next week on Tuesday, October 29th, for Mary, the owner’s wife.

BTW, Mary is married to an older man who owns the Tinto Store and her sister is Patricia.  Patricia’s son is the gay nephew I mentioned back on September 12th. And Patricia has one more sister who is 29 and has 2 kids.  So I think that completes the family.

I met Jhon at his office at noon and we went to Exito and I got registered for their points (rewards program).  They gave me a card with a special set of numbers to use for the first month and then I can use my Cedula number.  Jhon and I had lunch at Likkes where we found out they have a new owner but the same workers.  That’s comforting to know!  Jhon told me Beatriz called him to find out what I had to say about the breakup and he told her I hadn’t said anything.  (I think it’s best for him to stay out of this, especially since I consider it to be over!)  

The next lesson (Core Lesson #3) in RS took me 55 minutes to complete but at least I had a score of 99%.  It introduced a lot of new words relating to time and travel.

At 4:20pm I checked my iPad and I have an email, via Facebook, from Beatriz which says “hello, how are you”.  Interesting!

Jhon told me earlier he was going downtown for a meeting but I found Bob at the corner store and he went with me to Fresco Pan where I had a café con leche and ham and cheese pastry for less than 2mil.  Boy does Colombia have good coffee.  Bob was going to meet Patricia to discuss their trip to a finca tomorrow so I stopped at the apartment and since it’s only 76 degrees outside I put on a long sleeved shirt.  Coca Cola has had a promotion where they are giving a lot of discounts and freebies under their bottle caps and I started walking towards McDonald’s to use one of them.  

As I cut through Exito I noticed they now have an entire aisle with Christmas trees, ornaments and decorations next to the aisle for Halloween.  In the lower level I saw the cute lady who assists with the taxis and we exchanged “hellos”.  By the time I got to LM I remembered that everything I could get included a Coke for a drink and I didn’t want any troubles sleeping tonight so I turned around and headed back to Viva.  I sat in their food court until 7:18pm and then I ordered a Whopper and large strawberry milkshake for a total of 16,100 ($8.47).  There was a fat lady sitting in the food court and I realized how rare it is to see a fat person here in Medellin.
I bought a small bucket from Exito, remembering to use my new “points” card, for only 7,900 ($4.16) so I can soak my mop in it in bleach between bi-weekly cleanings.

As usual I used the crossover bridge over Avenida 80 and I stopped for a moment to see if I could see Bob (or maybe Margarita) in Redd’s bar.  As I turned around I saw the woman who works with the taxis in the lower level of Viva Mall.   This is the first time I’ve seen her “out of uniform”; she usually wears sort of a smock or apron.  She said she was going to the store for a coffee and I asked if I could join her.  The Tinto store was closed but she ordered something from the corner store and I said “the same” which turned out to be a Coke.  Oops.  I wasn’t too pleased that she lit up a cigarette and when I asked her about that she said it was because of the stress.  She passed me a note that said “I’m sad” but I didn’t know what it said until I translated it at home later.

Then we started guessing each other’s age.  She told me she is very old!   I didn't believe that so I started at 35 for her and she started at 50 for me.  It turns out she’s 48 years old; unbelievable.  I haven’t had a good look at her figure but she doesn’t seem to have a wrinkle on her face.  Her name is Gloria and she lives with her 16 (?) year old daughter and has a 24 year old son who is married.  She worked for Exito at another location for a year and now this Exito for a year (which is probably how long they’ve been open).  She works every day, including holidays, except Thursday which is her day off, from 10am to 8pm with 2 hours off for lunch from noon to 2pm.  She lives in Itaqui which is quite a ways south of here.  We exchanged cell phone numbers and I asked her if she would like to go to a movie with me on Thursday.  She seemed kind of hesitant so I asked the owner of the store to tell her that I’m a good man.  I don’t know what she said but it sure sounded good and Gloria seemed to be impressed and she said to call her. 


When she had to go I waited with her by the bus stop for a while until finally a friend gave her a ride.  The main reason why I hadn’t asked her out up till now is because I don’t think she’s even 5 feet tall.  That’s a discussion for another time.

When I got home I finally remembered to take my medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment