Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday, October 13th, 2013



Yesterday, I was at Beatriz’ house at 4:40 and, surprise, surprise, we left at 5pm - and were in Rionegro by 6:15.  They recommended I bring a jacket and it was cooler there.

First thing we went to Dulces & Postries (Sweets & Desserts) which is basically the same setup as the one across the street from Mall de Laureles.  I had a slice of the fresa (strawberry) and I believe Beatriz had the caramelo (caramel) and William paid for everybody.

We walked around the town square for a while and I bought Beatriz a necklace and earrings she liked for 30mil.

They stopped at a stand where they were cooking some strange looking food that looked like tubes that they fried in oil.  They had a lot of fun insisting I try it but I wouldn’t until Felipe took a bite.  It was a little crunchy but I wouldn’t say I really enjoyed the taste.  Then the rest started sharing an order and I found out its pig intestine.  (Now after Googling a bit I remember they call it Chunchurria but I think it’s what we call “tripe”.  I also noticed that the drink Colombians call Mora is what we call Mulberry.)  Anyway I wasn’t interested in having anymore of it.

We stopped at a stand just outside the church where we had some decent food – we shared a bag of empanadas.  It had potato inside but of course they teased me that it had Chunchurria in it.  The priest was standing nearby talking to some stranger and I kidded everyone that at least the empanadas were blessed by the priest.  Next was a stop at a Mexican restaurant where we all sat together at an umbrella table outside and had a drink.  I had a cup of coffee and when Beatriz was feeling cold a little later I gave her 10mil and insisted she go in and buy herself a cup of coffee – and another for me.  Finally I was able to pay for something.  We left there at 8pm and were back by 9:15.  As we were passing the corner store I saw Bob sitting there so I went home, dropped off my umbrella, used the bathroom and then headed over there the round about way so anyone at Beatriz’s house wouldn’t see me.

By this time David was sitting at his table and once again he was drunk or more likely stoned and he was talking down the Jews, religion, and I forget what else.  Bob was trying to tell me about the new lady he met and was crazy about.  I finally had had enough of David and I really told him off.  I first asked him if he’s sober enough to understand what I’m saying.  When he replied “yes” I told him I am not his friend or his amigo; to me he is a 1960s hippie taking drugs and he should grow up.  I also don’t want to have to talk to him, sit with him, or have him wave to me from his balcony should I walk down his street.  When he began to apologize for previously asking me for money, I told him that had nothing to do with it – I haven’t liked him since the first time we met and he asked me “how do you make the sun”.

David finally left and I apologized to Bob and asked him if I went a little overboard and he said “no, that’s about how he feels” and that “everyone in the neighborhood knows about David”.  I told Bob I was so happy when David announced a few days ago that he was going to Cartagena and wouldn’t be back until February so I wouldn’t have to deal with him again for a few months.  But David said he was only able to stay there for 1 day “because of money problems”.  

It seemed only a few minutes later David came back and tried to explain himself but we both got tired of him and left.  Bob told me that earlier in the day David read some 3-page drivel to him that he had written about the Jews and religion, etc. but it didn’t make any sense.  We ended up at another store just a block away - 3 buildings down from Bob’s hostel.  But, after a few minutes another drunk named Maurice showed up and started hassling us again.  We’re thinking maybe it isn’t safe to go out on Saturday nights here.  Lol.

While there, we saw some news on TV about a building that collapsed in El Poblado.  Not understanding much Spanish we didn’t learn anything more.  We finally left Maurice, nearly asleep by now, at 11:30 and headed back to our respective rooms.  

I went to bed at midnight and didn’t wake up until 5am when I heard the heavy rain.  At 6:40 I got up, went to the bathroom, put some drops in my eyes, took 2 Excedrin Migraine and went back to bed, finally getting up at 7:15. 

Breakfast was a croissant and café con leche at the bakery on Calle 35.  This time I noticed the name of the bakery was on their hats but I don’t remember it now; maybe next time.  It’s nice to see the ladies working there looking pretty in their full makeup.  I know the bakery isn’t open 24 hours but now I know it’s open every day.

No football games for us today.  The Bears played last Thursday and for the Falcons it’s a bye week.  But next Sunday we’re both going to have noon games so we’re going to Sport Wings with our girlfriends and also celebrate the 9 month anniversary of our coming to Medellin.  We found that we were on the same flight from Fort Lauderdale on the same day although we didn’t meet until August.

Bob invited me to join him for lunch today at Likkes at 1pm.  He showed me one of their receipts that states that they are under new management.  I sure hope they have the same good cook and cute black waitress.  I’m not even positive they are open on Sundays, but I guess we’ll find out.

Lunch was at Likkes for the usual 7mil.  I can’t tell if someone different is in the kitchen but the people out front are different.  The main difference with the food was I got a torta de arroz (rice cake) instead of a fried egg but the rice cake was cold and so were the beans.  And the black waitress wasn’t there, but maybe she doesn’t work on Sundays because most of her work seems to be delivering lunches. 

I walked over to the chess tournament and watched the games for a while.  I played a couple of games with the kids who had finished their games and then Dario wanted to play.  We played 2 games and I won them both.  In the last I sacrificed a rook to get a mate in 2 and he resigned.

I stopped in Exito and bought 2 AA batteries for 6,360 and another package of Trident for 2,120.

Dinner was a tuna sandwich from Subway and a small strawberry shake from Burger King.

No comments:

Post a Comment