Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saturday, October 19th, 2013



I forgot to mention that yesterday I asked my dentist (actually an endodontist) about repairing a “gummy smile”.  He said if the person is eligible for the procedure it is very simple and costs anywhere between 200mil ($105) and 500mil ($263).  Wow, that’s something I could easily afford.

Last night I found Bob at the corner store at 7:30 and a few minutes later I returned to my apartment, left my Nook and changed into a long sleeved shirt.  We reconvened at the bakery up the street from the corner store just down from the hotel where he’s staying.  I had a café con leche with a ham and cheese pastry for 2mil followed by a sugar donut with arequipe inside for another 500 pesos.  That was my dinner for the evening.  We then moved to another corner store named Bolivar where a lot of drinkers convene just a couple buildings down from his hostel.

We spent quite a bit of time talking, or struggling to communicate, with 2 older men named Oscar and Hernan.  Oscar spoke a little English having spent 9 years in New York but that was 40 years ago and he had forgotten most of it.  Most of the men here in Colombia drink Aguadente (sp?) which to me seems similar to Russia’s vodka, Greece’s oozo and Japan’s saki.  They can’t believe I don’t drink alcohol, beer or even wine.  I just stick to my Coke, juice and water.  BTW, I took my medicine with a glass of water I got at the store.

After they left we joined up with another man that Bob had never met but had often seen who lives across the street from his hostel.  He spoke a few words of English.  His wife joined us a few minutes later but she didn’t speak any English.  Unfortunately, I can’t remember their names.  He told us his daughters and sons live several places in the US.  I believe he invited us to his house this afternoon to meet one of his daughters who speaks English.

Just after 10:30 Bob had finally had enough and he said goodbye and teetered back to his hostel leaving his cigarettes on the table.  I said my goodbye shortly after.

I went to bed at 11:15, got up twice during the night and finally woke/got up at 6:45.  

I picked up a bag of milk, on sale for 1,500, at the bakery across from the Bolivar store and had cereal for breakfast.

I took a nap from 9:30 to 10:30 but so far no one has come to fix the hot water heater.

After 10 tries I finally completed Unit 1, Lesson 1 Writing in Rosetta Stone.
11:45 and no one is here to fix my hot water heater so I met Bob at Jhon’s office.  Jhon thinks the woman I’m interested in meeting again may work at a pharmacy on Carrera 84, just one block north of my apartment.  Bob and I walked over to Calle 35 to have ribs for lunch but the lady there said they don’t have ribs today so we walked across the street and had chicken at Brosty.  I mistakenly ordered half a chicken for 11,100 ($5.84) plus I had 2 Cokes for 3,600 ($1.89).  It also comes with 2 small potatoes, a piece of plantain and something else I’ve never seen before “cookie cut” into the shape of a fish.  The chicken was almost as good as Frisby where I would pay 17,100 for 2 pieces of chicken, cole slaw, French fries and a small soda.  I took the thigh, plantain, and a potato with me in a bag to give to some homeless person.  

We walked up Calle 35 to Avenida 84 and then headed north checking out the stores we saw.  I saw a juice bar there just a couple blocks from my apartment so I think the next time I get up early I’ll go there and check out the people on their way to work and that way maybe I can spot her.
When we reached the park we headed east and stopped at Pizza Americana and picked up a take-out menu.  Most everything seems to come with mushrooms, salami or ham.

We walked south on Avenida 80 and at Likkes we saw the “new owners” there so we’re not sure what’s going on – shared ownership?  I finally found a homeless person near the bus stop and gave him the bag of food.  We stopped for a Coke at the corner store and then we parted, deciding to meet at 5:30 for the A/N game against O. Caldas.

About 4:45 I plan to have a waffle with my milk leftover from breakfast and then make popcorn - with butter – to take to the corner store to watch the game which starts at 5:30.

Here’s a picture of Patricia & Bob I took last Wednesday when we were at the Burger Bar.

Patricia & Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment