Monday, June 20, 2016

Sunday, June 19th, 2016



Happy Father’s Day!

We had nothing to eat for breakfast so Teresa sent me to Exito.  I got there at 8:50am – I knew it didn’t open until 9am on Sunday.  After it opened I grabbed a couple bags of milk, a banana, and a box of Fitness cereal.

Back at the apt we had a quick breakfast of cereal and left the apt at 9:30.

  We got to Mall Laureles (Calle 37 #80-36, Local 127) at 9:55.  I went inside the office and told the owner we have 3 more people to go to Santafe today.  
While waiting outside I was about to tell Laura that I’ve spent a lot of time in this mall when I heard my name called.  I looked in the adjoining drug store and who did I see but Harry Kamp (aka Dirty Harry).  I hadn’t seen him since I moved into the finca.  He gave me a business card and asked me to call him so we could get together sometime for drinks.

Our van left at 10:15.  30 minutes later we stopped for 20 minutes at a roadside diner called Parador Rancho Alegre where we each had a almojabana and either hot chocolate or coffee.
We arrived at the hotel – Hosteria de la Plaza Menor at noon.  It has swimming pools and hammocks and we just hung out for the afternoon.  Teresa put on some lotion, drank a couple glasses of carrot juice, spent some time in the sun and by the end of the afternoon had a decent tan.  I swam in the pool a couple times and otherwise just relaxed.

They also have an ala carte menu with cocktails, liquor, beer, coffees, drinks, snacks, spa services and a variety of other things (fan, towel, aspirin, cigarettes, etc.).
Resort entrance

Looking towards resort entrance from inside

Rooms

Children's play area

Main swimming pool

Ala Carte menu page 1

Ala Carte menu page 2

Tables with hammocks behind

At 1:30 they served us a nice lunch of soup, salad, meat or fish, potato, rice, juice, and dessert.

Later in the afternoon we had an ice cream snack.  It’s all a pretty good deal for only $20.

They usually leave for the trip back to the city at 7pm but Teresa talked to everyone in our van and we all agreed we would like to leave a little earlier.  I paid an additional 18,000 pesos for the ala carte items we purchased, I tipped our waitress 10,000 pesos and we left at 6:15.  At 7pm we stopped again at the same restaurant.  I thought we would have a real dinner but Teresa just ordered 3 small Cokes and a dozen almojabanas.  I gave the cashier 20,000 pesos and she gave me 15,000 in change.  I didn’t think that was enough so I brought it to Teresa’s attention.  She didn’t say anything but later I learned that another couple got stuck with the remainder of our bill so we owe them something.

We got back to Mall Laureles by 7:45 when it was starting to sprinkle.  We walked over to Viva CC and I went up to Exito where I picked up a medium hot bottle of salsa and a package of Betty Crocker blueberry muffin mix.  (In the book I’m reading I learned that Betty Crocker was a fabrication of General Mills.)  Exito closes at 8pm on Sundays so I got through checkout just in time.

I heard some cheers and saw a crowd of people watching the DIM vs Junior championship match – Medellin was ahead 2-0.  We walked outside and there weren’t any taxis waiting for Exito customers to emerge.  We walked across the street and after a 5 minute wait caught a taxi.  At the first stoplight the young driver handed me a sucker and in broken English said “Happy Fathers Day”.  I said, “Awww” and wished him the same.  We heard more cheers, horns honking and fireworks so I guess Medellin won.

We were back at the apt by 8:45pm.

T-shirt of the day: Wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment