Monday, June 27, 2016

Sunday, June 26th, 2016



We left the apt about 10:20, and took a taxi for 8,000 pesos about 40 blocks to Parque El Salado.  We paid 3mil each to enter.  I also noticed they sell charcoal and some other things.  The park itself appears to be in a little valley of its own.  There is a nice stream strewn with rocks and boulders that reminded me a lot of Colorado.  On both sides of the stream are wooden cabanas without walls with firepits next to them where people can prepare and cook their own food.  We walked the length of the park that also has stands set up selling snacks and I also saw a restaurant.  Some people were bathing in the stream – not deep enough for real swimming.  I saw a zipline but it didn’t appear to be open.  Walking across a wooden bridge I saw a small group of about 10 young men in harnesses fiddling with ropes like they were going to bungee jump off the bridge but it is only about 20 feet to the ground so maybe they were just going to climb down.
Teresa really wanted to make a fire ourselves and make lunch so she kept asking me if I wanted to do it also.  I was afraid we would all be starving by the time we accomplished everything.  I told her we’ll come back another time.  We helped 3 other groups of people start fires using the firewood that you can buy there.  I even learned something because Teresa starts with a plastic bag or styrofoam plates and then I added small branches that I found nearby.  She said they were wet – but they snapped easily so they weren’t green and they were only slightly damp on the outside.

We left after only spending 2-3 hours there but we’ll be back another time.  We caught a Metro bus back to downtown for 2,000 pesos each.

I received an email from Chuck - we’re trying to figure out a common time to meet for coffee.

In the evening I watched the Argentina vs Chile championship match.  After regulation it was 0-0.  After the 1st overtime it was 0-0.  After the 2nd overtime it was 0-0.  How exciting!  Chile won on penalty kicks 4-2.  It was interesting to see the big Argentinian star Lionel Messi sail a penalty kick over the net.

We had BLTs for dinner.  This time we didn’t toast the bread but I think we will from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment