Thursday, June 2, 2016

Wednesday, June 1st, 2016



Even though it seemed like it took a while to fall asleep, I slept through the night.

I left the apt at 11:30 and walked to BanColombia where I waited in line for 40 minutes.  While waiting, the man behind me asked in Spanish if this was the special line for older people.  I told him I hope so.  He asked me where I’m from and that started a 10 minute conversation.  Forty years ago he worked in New York and then South Carolina and he said he never forgot his English although I did have trouble understanding him on occasion.  He said he didn’t have time to wait in line much longer.  I told him it should take at least 20 minutes.  He finally left and I’m glad he did because he didn’t smell too pleasant.

When it was finally my turn I paid my health insurance for June.  I then asked the lady if it was possible next month for me to pay with my debit card instead of cash.  I didn’t understand her answer and was confused as to why I didn’t get a simple yes or no.  There must be more to it.

As I was walking out of the bank I saw it was raining.  That cut short the other errand I was going to make and I headed back to the apt.
Teresa left in the afternoon for the agency to sign rental papers for the finca.  She told me someone would be stopping by to drop off the curtains (blinds) but I wouldn’t have to pay anything.  She also left me the cell phone which I thought a little weird.

I received a call from someone but I have no idea who it was or what it was about.  (Later I learned it was Martha.)

Someone buzzed from downstairs and I looked outside and saw 2 women and a man talking by the front door.  I didn’t recognize any of them so I called down but no one heard me.  Finally, I watched one of the ladies pull out her cell phone and dial a number.  I answered and asked her to look up and then I recognized Martha so I buzzed them in.

I let them in the apt (I had my pepper spray in my pocket) and the man checked the leak in the sink and I understood he would come back alone later to fix it.

He returned a few minutes later and I understood by his body language that the plastic part he had was the wrong size.  He took a hacksaw blade and cut off a piece of it.  He cut several pieces – I guess as long as the water flows downhill from a smaller pipe to a larger pipe, they don’t have to fit tightly together.  (Not exactly following union rules.)  He did a similar job on the other sink, tested them both, and then left.

Next the curtains arrived and I had to sign my name and give my cedula number.

Next call I looked outside and it was Teresa – why don’t you use your keys?  She told me the notary office was very crowded but the renter paid for all the notary signatures.  She got 500,000 pesos for June’s rent and gave me 300,000 to cover Laura’s English classes.

It’s strange but I still don’t have an appetite.  Teresa made me a hamburger for dinner, which tasted good, I just haven’t felt any hunger pangs in a long time – since last weekend?

I connected my laptop to the TV again and we watched Kidnapping Mr. Heineken (6.1) on Netflix.  I didn’t think it was anything special but Teresa liked it.

T-shirt of the day: #Meow

No comments:

Post a Comment