Thursday, June 23, 2016

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2016



We left the apt about 10:30.  Today I took my lock with me (I’ve been practicing the combination the last couple days so I wouldn’t forget it).  I was happy to see it fit through the holes on the locker.  Mine is easy to spot because it’s the largest, the only lock that has a combination, and it’s purple.
I first did 20 minutes on the treadmill and then while waiting for one of the machines a man said to me in perfect English that he would be there for another 10 minutes.  I said I would come back and he said good idea.  When I went back he introduced himself as Oscar – he was born in Cuba, lived in Miami before moving to Colombia.  He introduced me to another man – Jose – who, while Colombian, had worked in New York and also spoke very good English.

After an hour I was tired and sore and we headed back to the apt.  We stopped at Exito and picked up a few things.

After lunch I walked to the pharmacy to pick up another box of sleeping pills – I only have 2 pieces left.  When I got there the lady told me they are out and to come back tomorrow.  I stopped at the park to observe a few chess games.  I heard a cheer and walked over to a throng of people.  There was a man with a large camera recording another man interviewing bystanders with occasional cheers.  My best guess was this was a Colombian pep rally.  I saw approximately 500 plastic chairs set up in front of a large screen TV.  I’m sure that’s for tonight’s game.  I predict Colombia will beat Chile tonight but then lose to Argentina in the championship.

I forgot to mention I was going to have nacho chips and Mexican salsa at halftime last night but I couldn’t get the friggin’ salsa jar open.  I know I don’t have very strong hands and it still wouldn’t open using various tools.  Teresa showed me a 2nd jar that I forgot I had bought that she kept in the refrigerator (which you really don’t need to do until it’s open).  Tonight I tried to get this jar open and finally, with the aid of one of the tools my brother had brought me, I got it open.  Neither Teresa nor I found the medium hot salsa very hot.

In tonight’s match Chile scored 2 goals against Colombia in the 1st half.  At halftime I had chips and salsa but then the match was delayed due to a storm coming through the Chicago area.  I remember a forecast of storms for the Chicago area when I watched the Today show this morning and I knew the Colombia match was in Chicago tonight but I didn’t put 2 and 2 together.  Anyway, finally Teresa told me that the 2nd half of the match has been delayed until tomorrow.  After a 2 hour delay they finished the match with Chile winning 2-0.

Now, Colombia plays the US again on Saturday for 3rd place and Argentina plays Chile on Sunday for 1st place.

I ordered Chess by Laszlo Polgar from Amazon.  It’s a book that my brother gave me years ago but I sold it before moving to Colombia. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Terry,

    Try this old jar-opening trick:

    Put the jar of salsa into the refri and once it's fully chilled invert the jar dipping ONLY the metal lid into a bowl of near boiling water for several seconds.

    Quickly turn the jar back upright and using a rubber dishwashing glove to grip the metal lid twist it & open the jar. Do it before the metal lid has a chance to cool back off.

    Heating the metal lid that way makes it expand & it should be easier to get it to open.

    OK — HTH

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! Thanks. I hope you'll still be here to remind me next time I need it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prolly will be, Terry.

    Lemme noe when the time comes . . .

    So... Did you finally get that jar open???

    Cheers!

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I did. Using a tool my brother brought me and something similar to your "rubber dishwashing glove".

    ReplyDelete