Saturday, July 21, 2018

Friday, July 20, 2018


Last night I fell asleep quickly.  I have a vague feeling that I woke up about 4:30 but didn’t get up and quickly fell back asleep.  I finally woke up at 6:15 and got up at 6:45.

Well, today is Colombia’s Independence Day.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and left for the gym. 

After I had walked a few blocks I realized I forgot to bring 1,000 pesos to buy a Q’Hubo newspaper.  The usual newsboy wasn’t on his corner and the stand that sells newspapers was missing also so maybe there is no newspaper for the holiday.

Most of the stores across from Exito were closed but only about half on the next block leading to the park.

They had a street closed off for Ciclovia and there was an exercise class going on in the park outside Bartolos.

I completed all my exercises in an hour and 45 minutes.

After lunch I was sitting on the couch when I noticed a little blood on my lower forearm.  Then I noticed blood on the couch that I had obviously put there.  In the bathroom I was finally able to see more blood on my elbow that I wouldn’t otherwise have been able to see without the mirror.  I have no idea how I got cut but I rinsed it, put on some Neosporin and topped it with a bandaid.  Then after a quick Google search I got a small towel, dipped it in water and blotted out the stain.

I left the apt, took a bus to Oviedo where I added 50mil to my Cine Colombia balance and bought 3 tickets to the 7pm showtime. It cost a total of 46,500 pesos for 3 preferred seating tickets.

I was going to stop for a smoothie next door at McDonalds but I felt stuffed from lunch so I just stopped in Starbucks, mainly for their air conditioning, and read some news from my cellphone.
I walked outside and found a Sabaneta bus waiting for me.  I had my choice of seats but took one in the back next to the window.  The driver waited at least 5 minutes before pulling away from the curb.

I was back at the apt by 2:45 and the wet spot on the sofa was almost completely dry with the blood stain barely noticeable. 

At 3pm Teresa and Laura went to get their nails done.

I worked on analyzing the first of my chess games that I played yesterday with Jose.

Teresa came back at 5:30 and reported that, I guess for the first time, a man did their nails.  She was not happy about the job he did.  I guess they are still sexist here!

About 6:15 I called for an Uber car and it arrived in about 10 minutes.  It cost 8,200 pesos to take us to Oviedo mall.  First we stopped at Subway where Teresa bought a turkey sandwich that she smuggled into the theater in her purse.  Upstairs at the theater there was a line for tickets that luckily we were able to skip because there were huge lines for the concession counter.  We waited in line, bought 3 sodas, large and small popcorns and a hot dog for Laura for 44,600 pesos leaving me a balance of 17,600.

By the time we got to our seats the theater was packed and we had missed the first 5 minutes or so of the movie.

Despite a 6.1 IMDB rating I thought the movie Skyscraper was good and I was even able to get through it without a trip to the restroom.  (There were some action spots in the movie where I said “you’ve got to be kidding me”.  Like when Dwayne Johson cuts a thick elevator cable with one swing of an axe.)

After the movie we quickly caught a taxi back to the apt for another 8,200 pesos.

I believe I now have 20 total ticket purchases, 2/3 the way to my Platinum Cine card.

I’m wondering how the late movie snack will affect me tonight.  The salt from eating half a large tub of salted popcorn could give me a headache.  The liquid from the medium soda could get me up during the night and the caffeine it contained could prevent me from even falling asleep.

Just before we went to bed it started raining lightly.

Today’s Step Count was 10,165.

T-shirt of the day: Kiss cancer goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment