Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Tuesday, July 3, 2018


Last night I fell asleep quickly and didn’t wake up until 5am.  I don’t think I fell asleep again until after 6 finally waking/getting up at 7:45.

Jim left around noon to meet his friends at the airport who are arriving a little after 1pm.

I started watching the Colombia vs England World Cup match on my Slingbox.

The Direct TV guy arrived at 1:15 and had it fixed by 2pm.

After halftime, tied 0-0, I switched to watching the match on Direct TV.

At the end of the 90’ regulation Colombia was down 1-0 but they scored a tying goal within the 4’ extra time.  They then played 2 additional 15’ periods and it was still 1-1.  Colombia then lost in penalty kicks 4-3.  Sigh!

Jim texted me about 5:30.  I’ve got his suitcase so I’m going to bring it to his AirBnB between 6:30 and 7pm and then we’re all going out for dinner.

I left the apt at 6:20 and walked down the hill and after about 5 minutes caught a taxi.  I saw what I thought were empty taxis pass me by; maybe with the suitcase they thought I wanted to go to the airport.  Anyway, it turned out that Jim’s AirBnB is literally next door to The Flip Flop Sandwich Shop.  I saw Sean again for the first time in 2 years.  The others are arriving tomorrow and Thursday.  I gave Jim the business card for Tagliata and told him it would be a good place for all of them to meet for dinner some night.  We walked two blocks to Ay Caramba the Tex-Mex restaurant in Parque Lleras.  For a Tuesday night there were lots of people out on the streets probably because of the fütbol match.  We had a nice dinner and made plans to meet at Mercado del Rio tomorrow for lunch.  I’ll check in with Jim via Whatsapp after I return from the gym about 11:30.

I caught a taxi back to the apt and on the way the taxi driver practiced English with me.  His name was Fidel and he’s been driving a taxi for the 8 years and his only method of learning English is talking to English speaking people.

I had to answer the usual question as why did I move to Medellin.  I gave the usual answer: beautiful weather, beautiful women, and low cost of living.  And Colombians are very friendly.

T-shirt of the day: Nice story babe.  Now make me a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment