Saturday, December 1, 2018

Friday, November 30, 2018


I woke up at 3am with Teresa’s fit of coughing.  I asked her to take something for it and she ended up sleeping in the guest bedroom.

I got up at 6:45, took my shower, dressed and Laura and I left the apt at 7:45.  We walked up the hill and caught a Sabaneta bus to across the street from Bancolombia.  In the bank we took number 240 and they were serving 203.  I led her out of the bank and a couple blocks away and upstairs to Financiera Pagos Internacionales.  There were already 6 people waiting along with the private security.  After a couple minutes and nothing changed I took a look inside, saw there was only one cashier and she was talking on the phone and there were no customers being helped.

Laura and I walked to Carbon de Leña where we had a nice breakfast.

Back at Bancolombia, about an hour later, they were serving number 238.  Yes!  A couple minutes later it was our turn and we got our cash and immediately had the cashier deposit it into the accounts for the apt, my health insurance, and the gym.

Laura left for the metro to go to work.

I stopped in Exito where I bought a bag of Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip cookie mix for 9,900 pesos.

I stopped at Todo Drogas where I bought my medicine for the month.

Walking down the hill I ran into David H and his wife in the little park.  Her name is Liliana not Adriana – my bad.

A block away I had another copy of the keys made for Laura.
My cellphone battery appeared to be dead so I just returned to the apt.

I tried the keys and the fancy/complicated one didn’t work.  Sigh!
Among new US movie releases there isn’t anything I want to see.  Locally, I would like to maybe see Widows (7.5) playing at 2:30, 5:30, and 8:30.  Bohemian Rhapsody (8.4) is still playing at 4pm, 6:10, and 7pm.  I wouldn’t mind seeing it again so I offered to take Laura to see it Sunday night.

For lunch Teresa didn’t feel like leaving the apt so we ordered out from Frisby.

Teresa informed me that our appointment with the Oncologist is for 4pm.

About 2pm we had a thunderstorm come through with very strong lightning.

We left the apt at 2:45 and had some difficulty catching a taxi because of the rain.  Teresa finally suggested I stand on the nearest corner in order to catch taxis going on the cross street.  I soon had one and we were on our way to El Tesoro.

We arrived at 3:30 and the doctor didn’t take us until 5:15.

Dr. Ossa spent some time looking at the new x-rays and lab reports.  He then said our best option is for Teresa to have a mastectomy followed by reconstruction.  There will be a plastic surgeon there to do the reconstruction.  He said based upon his diagnosis she has a 70% chance of living another 10 years.  If they include chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy and/or hormone therapy they may be able to increase that to 78% - 82%.

I understand the surgery will be at Las Americas Monday December 10th and will take about 4 hours.  He said she will be in the hospital for one or two days and she will need about 3 weeks at home to recuperate but she shouldn’t need home care.

He said I can pay with my debit card the day of the surgery.

He gave Teresa a prescription for her bad cold.

While I was waiting for her to finish talking to the receptionist my cellphone buzzed 3 times in a row.  I thought it might be something important so I logged in and saw there was a trailer for a new movie Happy Death Day 2U.  Talk about bad timing.

We talked about maybe getting a bite to eat but with the weather so cool and being an open restaurant area we decided against it.

There was a long line for taxis and traffic was heavy but we were back at the apt by 7:15.

Then using google translate I shared with Teresa what the doctor had told me in English.

Joke of the day
Fifty-one years ago, Herman James, a North Carolina mountain man, was drafted by the Army.
On his first day in basic training, the Army issued him a comb. That afternoon the Army barber sheared off all his hair.
On his second day, the Army issued Herman a toothbrush. That afternoon the Army dentist yanked seven of his teeth.
On the third day, the Army issued him a jock strap. The Army has been looking for Herman for 51 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment