Sunday, December 2, 2018

Saturday, December 1, 2018

I got up once during the night again at 6:45 finally getting up at 7:30.

Another gringo pointed out to me that this will be the only month in our lifetime where we will have 5 Saturdays, 5 Sundays and 5 Mondays.

Last night my alma mater's football team, the NIU Huskies, won the MAC Championship by coming back from down 29-10 to win 30-29.

I left the apt about 9:15, walked up to Avenida Poblado and quickly caught a Sabaneta bus.  I got off at Parque Poblado and walked to Envios Market.  I asked if I could pay for December and the guy said, per my limited Spanish, that they are having computer system problems so I told him I would pay the next time I come to pick up my mail.

I stopped at my favorite ATM and got a bunch of small bills for the month.  I guess its official, their ATM fee is 14,500 pesos.

I stopped at a key making store and had them make up a new key for the apt for 25mil.  I should have come here first as it’s obvious they specialize in keys while the other location I used was a small hardware store.

I took a bus up to Starbucks, and uh-oh, Krispy Kreme is closed.  I guess they couldn’t take the pressure of having a high-end coffee place next door.  Maybe they’ll reopen in another location like near downtown Medellin.

I had a café mocha blanco and spent some time going through my cellphone.

When I left I stopped across the street and bought some cough medicine for Teresa and a box of bandaids.  Luckily, the pharmacist spoke near perfect English so I didn’t have to use my basic Spanish along with pantomiming.  He said she can take 7.5ml of the cough medicine every 6 hours.

I stopped in the Carulla grocery store in Oviedo looking for paper liners to make muffins but no luck.

I quickly caught a bus back to Envigado.

I stopped at Exito and picked up 2 bags of milk and a loaf of bread.  The total came to 10,500 pesos.  I gave the girl a 20mil bill and a 500 peso coin and she couldn’t figure that one out so she gave me the 500 peso coin back.  When she gave me 9mil and a 500 pesos coin I added my 500 peso coin and asked her for 10mil.  She gave it to me and I asked if she understood.  She said “yes” but who knows?

I was back at the apt by noon.

I hooked up my SNES and played a little Super Mario Bros for the first time in the new apt.

I watched some of Northwestern vs Ohio State but the former got thumped 45-24 by the latter.

Laura came home about 9:30 and I gave her the good news (I have house keys for her) and the bad news (Krispy Kreme is closed.)

Joke of the day
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.  I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment