Monday, December 17, 2018

Sunday, December 16, 2018


Last night I went to bed at 11:30.  I woke up at 5am and got up at 5:30.

I split one of my ½# bags of peanuts in two and put it in another bag to take with me for the 2nd half of this afternoon’s game.

I left the apt at 7:15 and downtown Envigado I was unsuccessful at withdrawing cash from my usual ATM so I had to go to another that limited me to 400mil.

I had breakfast at Carbon de Leña then took a taxi, arriving at the clinic at 9am.  Dora was already there.

Teresa said she slept well and might be discharged today.  She’s waiting to hear from the oncologist.  I noticed she’s no longer connected to an IV.  From her description it appears she had an epidural yesterday – is that possible?  She kept mentioning bloquear and she pointed to her back.

Dr. Marquez, the plastic surgeon, arrived at 12:20 and after a visual exam he said everything looks good.

I left at 12:30 for Philly Sports Bar at Calle 41A #70-42.  It’s a small place of only 4 tables, a counter a couple sofas and quite a few separate chairs.

I got a spot sitting at the counter right in front of one of the 4 TV screens to watch my game.  I met the owner, Bill, who is a native of Philadelphia.

I realized I had forgotten my bag of peanuts.  Drat!

At one point 3 guys came in and sat at my right although I didn’t pay them much attention.  A few minutes later I overheard Bill talking to one of the guys and saying something about also being a bartender.  He seemed to lead one of them over to my left side and Bill said something about them having new black t-shirts, right?  He repeated it several times and I started to think that they guy was a little retarded because he didn’t answer.

A few minutes later one of the 3 left leaving a clear path from the “guy” to me.  He came over and sat next to me and started talking some nonsense and putting his hand on my arm.  I told him not to touch me.  He started to get feisty repeatedly saying “don’t touch me, don’t touch me” and “I’m not going to touch you”.  It was obvious to me from the stench coming from his mouth that he was a smoker and he was also drunk.  He backed off a little as his friend returned but continued to try to engage me in conversation.  I told him I just wanted to be left alone to watch my game.

The owner told the cook not to give him another drink and finally his friend took him away.  The friend came back and sort of apologized and used the excuse that his girlfriend just broke up with him.  (Yeah, we all have problems, buddy.)

I turned off my cellphone because my battery was getting low.
Bill confessed that he’s probably going to have to close the bar after the Superbowl because he only seems to get traffic on NFL days.

About 3:30 a Colombian sitting with some gringos asked to put on a soccer game on Direct TV.  He said it was Colombia’s version of the Super Bowl.  In scanning the Direct TV guide they learned that the game doesn’t start until 4:30.  He mentioned that Medellin has to win by 3 goals for some reason.

The Bears beat the Packers 24-17 winning the NFC North division.  Minnesota also won but who cares?  Actually, the Bears play Minnesota in the last game of the season and as of now they would play them again in the 1st Wild Card Round.  (I would rather they play someone different but what can you do?)  Hmmm. If the Bears beat the Vikings in week 17 maybe they would end up playing the Seahawks or the Cowboys.  And if we beat the Vikings in round 1 (as of now) the Bears would play the Rams again.

I left the bar at 4pm and was back at the clinic by 4:30.

Teresa said she got permission to check out today so we just have to wait for the nurse to bring her a wheelchair.

Teresa gave Dora 100mil for all the help she’s been.

About 5pm they finally took us down the back way and we soon were in a taxi back to the apt.

The first thing I did was plug my phone into the charger.

Teresa had a list of medications she’s supposed to take for the next week or so so she sent me out at 5:45 on a Sunday.

Walking up La Buena Mesa I noticed a lot of people sitting outside a store watching the game between Medellin and Junior.  Medellin was ahead 2-0 in the 2nd half.  A gringo walking past me looked at my Chicago Bears t-shirt and gave me a thumbs up.

The closest pharmacy is Alemana in Merkepaisa and it was still open.  I showed the pharmacist my list and he said he had all but one item but he could order it.  I said thank you and turned around to go to another pharmacy when I got an idea.  I asked if they delivered and he said yes.  He asked me for my address but I didn’t remember it.  I have it in a file in my cellphone but I left it in the apt to recharge.  I looked in my fanny pack for a business card where I had written the address but I couldn’t find it.  I think I gave it to Teresa once and she didn’t return it.  I asked the pharmacist to call my phone number hoping Teresa would answer it.   She did but she didn’t remember the address either.  The pharmacist googled the name of our complex and by the time he found the address the deliveryman arrived with the rest of my order.  It cost 335,000 pesos ($110) for everything.

I asked the pharmacist if the Medellin Junior match was still 2-0 and he said it’s 3-1 very late in the match.

Walking down past La Buena Mesa the guys acted like they were celebrating a Medellin victory but later I found out that the final score was 3-1 so I guess they lost.

Back at the apt I easily found the business card with our address sitting on the kitchen table.

I watched some Sunday Night Football.

Teresa is experiencing some dizziness.  Not sure if it’s because of the medication she started taking or if maybe her blood pressure is a little low.  Maybe she shouldn’t have come home early.

I heard a few fireworks during the night.

Joke of the day
A guy sends a text to his next-door neighbor:
"Bob, I'm sorry. I've been riddled with guilt and I have to confess: I have been helping myself to your wife when you're not around, probably more than you. I know it's no excuse but I don't get it at home. I can't live with the guilt any longer. I hope you'll accept my sincerest apology. It won't happen again."

Feeling outrage and betrayed, Bob grabs his gun, goes into the bedroom, and without a word, shoots his wife.

Moments later the guy gets a second text: "Really should use spell check! That should be "wifi"."

No comments:

Post a Comment