Saturday, April 20, 2019

Friday, April 19, 2019

Today is Good Friday.

I slept well, getting up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7:30.

When I came out of the bedroom in my gym clothes Teresa informed me that today is Viernes Santo and the gym will be closed.  I checked my blog and I went to the gym last year on Good Friday last year, so…

I noticed Teresa is listening to the sacred rosary in the morning also.

Because of my weak and sore back I need the first 90 minutes in the morning to just “hang out” but Teresa had other ideas.  She wanted me to go to Aymará and pick up a loaf of bread for breakfast.  I was sitting on the couch starting to put on my socks when I was racked by pain.  I couldn’t move, I just collapsed sideways on the sofa.  After resting for a couple minutes I was able to get up and walk to the bed where I to put my socks on while lying flat on the bed.  Then Teresa came and gave me a back massage.

I took ½ an Excedrin Migraine.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and left for the gym.  They don’t have wifi working yet but they do have the TVs working so I was able to watch some tennis while walking on the treadmill.  I talked briefly to Marcos and I got his cell phone number and I told him I would contact him via Whatsapp.  I met one of the private trainers named Veder – try pronouncing that (I guess like Darth Vader, although his “v” sounded more like a “b”).  I added the shoulder press exercise to my routine and I finished in about an hour and 30 minutes.

Teresa had asked me to pick up 2 meat pastries and a loaf of bread at Aymará and 2 bags of milk and a pepper at Exito.  When I left the gym I headed south and right away I ran into Jorge (Oscar).  He told me he’s going to visit Cuba.  Instead of asking him more about his trip I selfishly started telling him about my friend Jose who is from Cuba.  That was not good.

I stopped at Aymará and Exito on my way back to the apt.

I think Teresa will visit Esmeralda this afternoon and I’ll go to the mall and study some more chess tactics.

I made arrangements to meet Marcos tomorrow morning for coffee.

I left the apt at 2:30 and walked to the mall.  Upstairs at Café Arangos I had a café con leche and completed 40 chess puzzles in 49 minutes.  Surprisingly, it now only went faster than expected but I solved all of them.  Great start!

I walked back to the apt and read some emails and watched some TV.

Among new US movie releases there isn’t anything I would like to see.  Locally, I think I might go see Ben is Back (6.8).

Teresa returned at 7:45.

I watched Chapter 10 – How to improve your tactical play.

8,365 steps today.

Joke of the day
Little April was not the best student in Sunday school. Usually she slept through the class. One day the teacher called on her while she was napping, "Tell me, April, who created the universe?" When April didn't stir, little Johnny, a boy seated in the chair behind her, took a pin and jabbed her in the rear. "GOD ALMIGHTY!" shouted April and the teacher said, "Very good" and April fell back asleep. A while later the teacher asked April, "Who is our Lord and Saviour," But, April didn't even stir from her slumber. Once again, Johnny came to the rescue and stuck her again. "JESUS CHRIST!" shouted April and the teacher said, "very good," and April fell back to sleep. Then the teacher asked April a third question. "What did Eve say to Adam after she had her twenty-third child?" And again, Johnny jabbed her with the pin. This time April jumped up and shouted, "IF YOU STICK THAT F*****G THING IN ME ONE MORE TIME, I'LL BREAK IT IN HALF AND STICK IT UP YOUR ARSE!" The Teacher fainted. 

2 comments:

  1. Quick Spanish Pronunciation Tip . . .

    In Spanish 'b' and 'v' are both pronounced exactly the same way, depending on their position in a word or sentence. It's very easy to remember once you know that because it's always the same, so . . .

    1] 'b' and 'v' at the beginning of a word are both pronounced like the letter 'b' in English.
    Examples: Vader [BAY-der] / Ven acá [ben a-KA] It means 'Come here.'

    2] 'b' and 'v' between two vowels are pronounced halfway between the sound of 'b' and 'v' in English, almost (but not quite like) a 'w'; more like a 'very soft w'.
    Examples: Yo me voy [joe-may-WOI] Means 'I'm going' or 'I'm leaving.'
    Me corté la barba [may kor-TE la-WAR-ba.] Means 'I cut my beard.'
    Calle la boca. [kah-yay la WOE-ka.] Means 'Shut up.'
    Remember, those 'w' sounds are very soft! Have a spanish speaker say these examples so you can hear the differences. It's easy once you know how.

    ¡Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i first got here I had the impression that Colombians couldn't tell the difference between a 'b' and a 'v' sound.

    ReplyDelete