Sunday, April 7, 2019

Saturday, April 6, 2019


I got up twice, once about 2-3 am and the second time at 6am, finally waking/getting up at 7:45.

I told Teresa about the bat last night and she showed me some spots on the floor, and one wall, that she believes is from a bat entering the apt.  One spot was down the hallway and another near the door to our bedroom.  From now on she wants us to close the balcony door at night.  Probably a good idea.

I left the apt at 9:15 and walked up to Avenida Poblado.  The new Smartfit looks like its finished – at least from the outside.  I also noticed a van parked outside with a Smartfit logo on it but I couldn’t check things out very well because my bus arrived almost immediately.

At Envios Market I picked up my package for 6,000 pesos, my April Chess Life magazine, another BSI monthly statement, a retirement plan annual funding notice from Zurich, and a letter from Marinosci Law Group in Chicago.  The latter appears to be informational only (they confirm that fact) regarding my old townhouse that I declared bankruptcy on over 6 years ago.

I took a bus to Starbucks where I ordered my usual drink.  The cashier spoke a little English and at one point she wrote on a piece of paper “wet cream” after I asked for it “sin chantilly”.  I wrote down “whipped cream” and passed it back.  I saw a light bulb go on indicating she understood.  I saw a guy with one of those large Rappi backpacks putting 2 large drinks carefully inside so I guess they deliver from Starbucks also.

I didn’t immediately get an internet connection so I read some from one of my old Chess Life magazines.  Later, on a hunch, I checked my receipt and I found their password.  I guess they are now following the same procedure as Juan Valdez.

After about an hour I walked across the street and up to Oviedo mall where I had to wait about 15 minutes for a bus.

I was back at the apt by 11:15.

Right away Teresa said she didn’t like her new water bottle.  She said it was too big.  She felt better about the size after she removed 2 layers of wraping.  Hers is glass with a fiber protective shield and mine is made of insulated metal.
At 2pm I dressed and said goodbye to Teresa as I was going to go to the mall and have coffee and read a bit.  She told me she wanted to go with me to El Tesoro mall so she could exchange her blouse.
She wanted to go later so we both laid down for 45 minute naps.
In the end we left the apt at 3:30, MT arrived in a taxi and we went to Premium Plaza mall.  By the time we got inside it was raining pretty hard and turned much cooler.

Teresa and MT spent some time in Zara and she finally found 2 blouses she liked.  From there we got in line for the chance for a free gift but after 35 minutes she didn’t win anything.  It’s like a lottery, sometime you win, sometimes you lose.  Usually you lose.
We couldn’t find a suitable place to eat so we took a taxi to the Peruvian restaurant Chiclayo in Buena Mesa.

MT had a bowl of soup, Teresa had a fish plate and I ordered the pollo saltado (salted chicken).  I specifically did not get the mezcla saltado (salted chicken and beef) because I saw it came with French fries and I remember the first time I had it they added them to the mix.  Last time I specifically ordered it with the fries on the side and it was still good.  When they brought my order it still had fries inside and it didn’t taste the same.  Not sure if it was because of the fries or they used different spices this time.  Anyway I didn’t enjoy it as much.  I even checked the menu and it had some other type of fries mentioned in the order that I hadn’t interpreted correctly.  There was something about Teresa’s food she didn’t care for either as she mentioned she doesn’t want to come back here.  (At least until she forgets.  Lol)  The total check came to 93,060 ($31) including tip.

I received a text from Laura that she took the car out alone on the highway for the first time tonight.

6,130 steps today.

Joke of the day
A psychiatrist was consulted by a patient with a very peculiar delusion.  He was convinced that he was dead, and nothing could be done to dissuade him of this.  The psychiatrist tried to reason with him.  “Tell me,” he said, “do dead men bleed?”  “No, of course not!” cried the patient.  ‘That is a stupid question!’”

The psychiatrist priced the man’s finger with a needle, and a drop of blood appeared.  “And what do you conclude from that?” asked the psychiatrist.

The patient paused but a few seconds to examine the wound.  “Obviously I was wrong,” he murmured quietly.  “Dead men do bleed.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terry,

    Ref your (probable) bat visitor . . . Since bats echolocate why not –instead of closing the sliding glass door when it's hot at night– go buy yourself some sort of beaded curtain to hang in that doorway. The bat will 'see' it and won't fly thru it. And if you choose the right sort of beaded curtain you will still be able to see thru it to know when hummers are visiting the feeder plus you'll continue to be able to enjoy some cooling air-flow at night.

    Just FWIW . . .
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice about a beaded curtain, but ... i don't know.

    ReplyDelete