Monday, April 22, 2019

Sunday, April 21, 2019


Well, today is Easter for most Christians.

I slept through the night, waking once at 6:30, falling back asleep and finally waking/getting up at 7:30.

According to the waitress last night they will still have Ciclovia this morning but I’m not so sure.

I left the apt just before 9am and walked up to Avenida Poblado.  They didn’t have lanes marked off but I saw a few people walking most of them on the sidewalks.  When I got to the Envigado/Medellin border they had lanes marked with crossing guards and a lot more people walking.

I stopped at Starbucks where I had my usual café mocca blanco.  Usually they charge me 10,100 pesos but today it was only 9,500.  Go figure.  At one point there was a group of 6-7 dogs all checking each other out peaceably.  I saw Britt, the tall gringo from Florida and I chatted with him briefly.  He was there with his 7-year old son so he was a little precoccupied.  I got a call from Laura – she thought I was with Teresa.  She is happy in Boca Raton and she will be going to a Colombian restaurant for lunch.  She’s hoping to get Bandeja Paisa with her favorite chicharron.  (Later she said she got exactly what she wanted but it cost her $13.99 plus a drink, tax, and tip.)  I read a chapter from my Nook book and then walked back to the apt.  On the way I bought a banana for 500 pesos and saw exercise classes at Santafe mall and Euro grocery store.

Wow, on the internet I found a Greek Orthodox church in Medellin.  It’s called Parroquia de San Marcos Evangelista and it’s at Calle 43 #74-36.  That should be near where Jose Cruz lives.

One funny thing about Teresa is her insistence that everyone is young.  I remember telling her that Queen Elizabeth was celebrating her 90th birthday and her response was “she’s so young”.  I asked her who she knows over 90 years old and she had no answer.  I challenge her sometimes when she calls her mother “vieja” which is feminine for “old”.  So, today I got a Happy Easter message from Randy, a friend of Erwin and Dora.  I tried to explain to her who he was and she said “the old man?”  I just stared at her until she realized what she had said and we both laughed.

At 12:30 Teresa ordered chicken wings from Go Wings.  (I saw that I’ve mistakenly called it Zoo Wings to I went back and fixed that.)
Teresa surprised me by asking if there was a movie we could go see tonight.  I recommended a comedy (thinking of Shazam!) but she wasn’t interested.  I told her there is a drama with an actress she really likes and she agreed.  We’re going to see Ben is Back (6.8) starring Julie Roberts at 7:20.

I watched Chapter 12 – Know your enemy.

We left the apt at 6pm and walked to the mall.  Inside the entrance we were both surprised that MT hadn’t already arrived.  I told Teresa that I would go buy 3 tickets and when MT arrived to meet me at the Juan Valdez café inside Cine Colombia (CC).  I went to the Platinum desk and bought 3 preferred seats at 12,500 pesos each.  Teresa soon arrived and informed me that MT had an “emergency” and couldn’t make it.  We looked at the Platinum menu and we decided to share 3 empanadas and we each ordered 2 medium sodas.  She asked me how much the seats cost and when I told her she talked to one of the CC employees and then went back to the desk with the ticket and got credit added back to my Platinum card.  In the meantime I looked at the receipt for our food order.  When Teresa returned I showed her the receipt and that’s when I found out she ordered 3 empanadas AND 10 chicken nuggets.  Next I showed her the bill and the menu and it appeared they charged us for 3 “packages” of 3 empanadas as the bill showed an amount 3 times more than what was on the menu.  It didn’t work when I tried to explain it to Teresa and later the waitress.  I asked the young lady (I found out her name is Natalie) that speaks English to come over and I explained the situation.  It sounded like they were saying that she entered the order correctly but finally everyone understood there was a problem when a server arrived with 9 empanadas.  Natalie had the original order cancelled, took back 6 empanadas and rebilled my card.  Whew!  Just before showtime I bought a small bucket of popcorn.  I explained to Teresa that I tried to set Natalie up with Rory but she already had a boyfriend.  Teresa asked me about why not the other cute girl and I said because she doesn’t speak English.

The movie was good but sad, and ended quite abruptly.

Outside there was a slight mist in the air so we took a taxi back to the apt.  The driver had a problem changing a 20mil bill so I gave him 4mil and all of the change I had so he may have been short 500 pesos or so.

10,779 steps today.

Joke of the day
A first-grade teacher, Ms Brooks, was having trouble with one of her students. The teacher asked, 'Harry, what's your problem?'
Harry answered, 'I'm too smart for the 1st grade. My sister is in the 3rd grade and I'm smarter than she is! I think I should be in the 3rd grade too!'
Ms. Brooks had enough. She took Harry to the principal's office.
While Harry waited in the outer office, the teacher explained to the principal what the situation was. The principal told Ms. Brooks he would give the boy a test. If he failed to answer any of his questions he was to go back to the 1st grade and behave. She agreed.
Harry was brought in and the conditions were explained to him and he agreed to take the test.
Principal: 'What is 3 x 3?'
Harry: '9.'
Principal: 'What is 6 x 6?'
Harry: '36.'
And so it went with every question the principal thought a 3rd grader should know.
The principal looks at Ms. Brooks and tells her, 'I think Harry can go to the 3rd grade'
Ms. Brooks says to the principal, 'Let me ask him some questions..'
The principal and Harry both agreed.
Ms. Brooks asks, 'What does a cow have four of that I have only two of?'
Harry, after a moment: 'Legs.'
Ms Brooks: 'What is in your pants that you have but I do not have?'
The principal wondered why would she ask such a question!
Harry replied: 'Pockets.'
Ms. Brooks: 'What does a dog do that a man steps into?'
Harry: 'Pants.'
The principal sat forward with his mouth hanging open.
Ms. Brooks: 'What goes in hard and pink then comes out soft and sticky?'
The principal's eyes opened really wide and before he could stop the answer, Harry replied, 'Bubble gum.'
Ms. Brooks: 'What does a man do standing up, a woman does sitting down and a dog does on three legs?'
Harry: 'Shake hands.'
The principal was trembling.
Ms. Brooks: 'What word starts with an 'F' and ends in 'K' that means a lot of heat and excitement?'
Harry: 'Firetruck.'
The principal breathed a sigh of relief and told the teacher, 'Put Harry in the fifth-grade, I got the last seven questions wrong.'

No comments:

Post a Comment