Friday, December 31, 2021

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Recovery Day #187!

Last night I went to bed at 11:15, got up twice during the night finally waking at 6:30 (from a truck unloading at Exito next door) and getting up.

I left the apt and walked to Los Porteños arriving by 8:30. I ordered a small café con leche and started reviewing some chess notes. I was loving their music today – oldies from the 70s. David, my waiter, saw me with my chess notes and mentioned he plays chess. Maybe we’ll get together for a game someday. Glenn arrived with Bianca by 9:15. He suggested I set up a new Paypal account with a different email address. (I agree but it has to be done with a US cellphone number.) We discussed our Sunday breakfasts, and he mentioned he misses Sere’s French toast. We decided we will go there next Sunday and probably again the 1st Sunday of each month. The other Sundays we’ll frequent our local Ganso y Castor. We also discussed how we could share a MS Office account in the future.

I picked up a head of broccoli and lettuce on my way back to the apt.

I still have a few ADs from my last package so I’ve been wearing them at night. On our trip to Santafe de Antioquia I brought only MPs which I wore for 24-hours only changing them with my underwear in the morning after taking my shower. That seems to be working well so I will continue that after I finish my remaining ADs.

An overcast cool day; only 76 degrees when I left the apt at 1:30. I walked to the mall and printed some things at Auros. I also had a laminated color copy made of my new cedula. Outside Exito at the zapateria (shoe repair) I dropped off my Teva sandals to be repaired and one of Teresa’s that was missing whatever you call the pin that fits into the holes. I understood they should be ready in 7-10 days and I paid 51mil ($13) in advance. Just then a rainstorm started. Inside the mall I had a café con leche with an almond croissant at Santa Leña. When I left I checked Cine Colombia but nothing had changed. In Exito I picked up a large container of eggs and was heading for the dairy dept when a couple young girls pushing a cart tried to give me a small package of what looked like cheese crackers and a small bottle of water. I understood they were complimentary, but I said, “no thank you”. One of the girls replied in English that they were a way of saying, “thank you”. I told her I would like to but I have too many things to carry. I picked up 2 bags of milk and a bag of tomatoes and checked out. I had the eggs in one hand and my notebook plus the grocery bag in the other.

There was a short wait for a taxi to return to the apt.

Wow, I saw we broke 4,000 pesos to the dollar.

In the afternoon I did some work on the computer as well as watching a couple episodes of Seinfeld.

I have a 7am doctor’s appointment in El Tesoro so I went to bed at 9pm.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 267,305 ð 301,472 new cases and 1,243 ð 1,207 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday, Colombia has a total of 4,306 ð 6,326 new cases with 35 ð  33 new deaths. Medellin has 1,184 ð 1,419 new cases from December 28th to 29th. Envigado has 89  ð 101 new cases from December 28th to 29th.

T-shirt of the day

It’s me, Mario.

No comments:

Post a Comment