Thursday, December 29, 2016

December, 2016 Chess Life magazine, page 40

First to set the scene.  The 1994 World Championship Candidates match, held at Trump Tower in New York City.  The rest I quote exactly:

When I was introduced as "Grandmaster Pal Benko," Trump turned to his secretary and asked, "Don't you think I could become a grandmaster if I put in one or two years on chess?"  I couldn't believe I heard that question!  I answered that you have to be born with the ability to become a grandmaster, and that I had never known anyone who started chess after the age of 20 and became a grandmaster.

He had no idea how difficult it is to earn a chess title, although it is possible that it is comparable to the rigors of a candidacy for U.S. president.  But certainly, had he started down a chess path he never would have become a billionaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment