Saturday, December 10, 2016

Thursday, December 8, 2016

I had marked my calendar that yesterday was Dia de Las Velitas (Day of the Candles).  Unfortunately, last night it was too cold to go out.  People put paper bags with lit candles in them at the entrance to their homes.

It was another overcast day as we left the apt at 11:45.  Teresa didn’t believe we would need an umbrella so I left it behind.  (Big mistake!)

I had the taxi drop the ladies off at Santafe mall and then take me across the street from MBE.  Unfortunately when I got there it was closed.  Also the south bound lanes were closed for walkers, etc. as I guess today is a holiday.  Since there weren’t any buses I walked 20 minutes to Oviedo mall where I bought 3 tickets for the 3:45 showing of Sully, starring Tom Hanks, for 40,500 pesos (about $14).

While in Oviedo I noticed a sign for a new Starbucks store that is under construction and I saw a working England-style stand-alone phone booth.

Back at Santafe I met up with the ladies.  After some more window shopping we went for lunch.  J&C Delicias was full so we went next door to Parmessano where I had lasagna, Laura had pasta and Teresa had her usual – fish – for 104,443 (about $35).

While there we noticed it was raining and we didn’t have an umbrella.  We killed some time with more window shopping and then got in line to catch a taxi.  The plan was to take a taxi from the basement level of Santafe basically across the street to Oviedo exiting in front of the Carulla grocery store attached and behind the mall.  That way we would get wet but not soaked.  While waiting in line Teresa asked me to go see if the rain had stopped.  I did and at most it was just misting.  I told them to hurry up because it stopped raining.  As we walked down the hill it started raining again.  Laura pulled out a small umbrella and I ducked under it with her until Teresa took my spot.  I then ran to the mall since I had no protection at all.

We were all pretty wet, especially me, by the time we got to Oviedo mall.  Teresa told me she didn’t want to sit in a cold theatre being as wet as she was.  I showed her the tickets I had already bought.  I got in a long line (we shouldn’t go on holidays) and bought a medium popcorn and large Pepsi for 15,800 pesos (about $5).

The theatre was pretty crowded but luckily I had bought tickets a few hours before show time so we had good seats.

The movie was pretty good and Teresa was impressed that nobody died when the plane landed in the river in the middle of winter.
Afterwards it had stopped raining and after a 5-minute wait we were in a taxi back to the apt.

I watched some Thursday Night Football until it was time to go to bed.


T-shirt of the day: Whiskey made me do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment